X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

RIP a Mego Collecting Pioneer

Last night I got some sad news with the passing of my old friend and one of my "Mego mentors" Reade aka Brad.

The reason I post this is, he probably had an impact on you.

Brad is one of the handful of people that was involved in the Parkdale Novelty find of Mego during the mid 1980s. Without fail, the biggest player.

Long time collectors may remember this ad from Starlog, Toronto residents may remember the various TV commercials he ran for Star Trek Mego figures during the 1980s.

Remember the Diamond catalog had a seemingly never ending supply of Mego 12" Spider-Man and Batman in the 90s? That was Brad.

He was a complicated guy but he was also a true visionary ahead of his time and he was someone who had a real lasting, positive impact on my life.

I was just a teenager when I met his family and they opened their house to me, which was floor to ceiling filled with toys, posters, records and art.

They invite me to dinner, allow me to pour through Mego catalogs, showing me all his discoveries (He had the first window boxed Mad Monster I'd ever seen), open sealed Mego cases to get the assortments and we'd also go toy hunting together.

When i got the notion to write a Mego book in the 1990s, he lent me his collection, his home and his camera to take photos. Many of them ended up at the Mego Museum a couple of years later. I bet I can still find some here if I looked hard enough.

They were generous with their time and with stuff. I remember sending a NY toy dealer to them who filled his trunk with Mego Trek items. When I popped in to say hi, Brad handed me a perfect boxed Mego Aquaman and said "Thanks for the referral buddy!".

The Mego Trek wasn't the only smart move he made, his techniques for finding warehouses of vintage movie posters and toys were brilliant.

When he heard the Dick Tracy "The Blank" figure was only to be sold via Sears Canada, he bought all but 10 of them with his credit card. The entire production run, the president of Sears phoned him. Seriously, if you own one of those figures, you got it through him.

We'd lost touch when I moved and started a family, he became something of a nomad after his marriage ended but I always hoped we'd cross paths. You think you have forever to catch up with people but you truly don't.

What's bittersweet about all of this is, I was redecorating my house last week with movie posters, records, animation cels and art. It dawned on me that I was merely copying Brad's amazing house from all those years ago. I joked to my wife that I owed him and his wife a royalty and a thank you.

I'm happy to have known him, he's definitely a major reason i do this stuff.

Thanks for reading.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • palitoy
    • Jun 16, 2001

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Sorry for your loss Brian.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Another thing to share in this ad, the Dinky Star fighters and Yoda's came from another toy wholesaler. A man who was good friends with my dad by the name Hans. He had a successful chain of stores called "Pinnochio's" and he was my dad's travelling buddy to NY Toyfair in the 1970s. They were pretty funny together.

Even though my dad had retired from toys, Hans came over to visit and when i was 14, i asked him if he had any Mego left, he said "Oh go see Morris at Parkdale, he's got tons of that stuff" and that's where it all started for me.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

I wish I had gotten to know Brad even half as well as you. There's a little bit of him in many of us. I can only hope to influence someone even a little
          as he did you.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Sorry to hear of his passing Brian. I guess we all owe him a lot for blazing the trail.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

A very fine tribute. Thanks for sharing, and may he rest in peace.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Very sad to hear. I'd like to get one of his 12' Batman finds. Those always bring good money no matter how common they are.

Comment

• VintageMike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2004

Sorry to hear, great tribute and restrospective.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

condolences

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Sorry for your loss, Pali. Losing mentors is tough.

Comment

• number 6
                        Village Idiot
                        • Jul 10, 2003

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

While I didn't know him personally, that Starlog ad he ran is a bit of a milestone for me. I feel it played a large part in my recognizing my transition from a child playing with toys to a collector.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Sorry for your loss, Brian. I still have my 12" Spidey and 12" Batman from that find.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Oh man, very sorry to hear about this. I think you've told me stories about him before. It's folks like him that really got the ball rolling for the rest of us in this hobby.

Comment

• comicmike
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 22, 2009

A very thoughtful message to share with us; thanks. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎