X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Lost Mego Buck Rogers Toys

By Brain Heiler One of the bigger myths (constantly) written about Mego is the notion that none of their Science Fiction licenses in a post Star Wars world were a success of any sort. While Star Trek the Motion Picture and the Black Hole were certainly disappointments for the company, the weekly kid friendly adventures…

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wild! Man, Mego was being VERY frugal with this stuff. Micronauts was getting canibalized for all sorts of stuff back then.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

This piece makes no sense to me to be honest.

Mego was firing on all cylinders when they got Buck, sure they missed the Star Wars boat but they were still a top performer and had some of the best, most creative R&D people.

One page of this pamphlet is all the vehicles they designed that are straight from the blue prints and two well done waves of action figures in two scales.

Then a page of recycled play sets, three of which are actively being sold? You'd expect this from a 1982 catalog where Marty was gone, money was tight and all the bright young minds had fled the building but this is so strange.

My two theories are:

a) They were just trying to pad the line out and make it look bigger than it was.
      b) They didn't have confidence in the brand. I know that part would be a big surprise.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

that Draconian Fortress is all kinds of awesome. I love the color scheme on it. I always thought the playset was better suited to the 3.75 inch figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^ I agree, it would have been terrific with the line.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 1, 2005

The Buck Rogers line was and is one of my favorite toy lines of all time. I actually had almost all of the figures and vehicles (including 12" figures) when I was a kid. I was all-in on this for a good year or two. Ironically I'm missing a lot of it as an adult collector, I've been enjoying taking my time reacquiring it over time I actually really dig the way some of those repurposed Micronauts vehicles and sets look, I would've definitely been into them. Especially that Draconian Fortress playset!!

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

Wonder what the add on building on the back of the Draconian fortress looked like? I'm guessing the top was a landing bay, bottom was a control room/ throne room?
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Fascinating article.
                I had the Galactica version of the Star Blaster. Kinda always suspected that was a non proprietary item.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• SKotK
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                  Fascinating article.
                  I had the Galactica version of the Star Blaster. Kinda always suspected that was a non proprietary item.
                  Yep...I had the same exact laser gun, only it was Radio Shack branded. That thing got around!

--SKot
                  Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by SKotK
                    Yep...I had the same exact laser gun, only it was Radio Shack branded. That thing got around!

--SKot
                    Ha! I didn't know about that one.

I've seen it in an ad for a factory that made electronic toys in Hong Kong, clearly all the toy makers liked it a whole bunch.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Spyweb007
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 18, 2006

I had the Mego Star Trek Gamma playset and used it with 3.75" figures quite often, it was really better suited to that scale. The Mattel Flash Gordon figures looked great with it, and theMego Star Trek Motion picture crew had adventures there often too.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎