X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Is DC Media worried about the DCEU?

It seems WB and/or DC Comics is getting worried about there DC Extended Universe of movies.

What most people forget was Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds) was to start the DCEU movies, then the negative response came and they trashed there plans. Then the court dealing with Superman happened so WB put a rush to get out a new Superman movie incase they lost in court and would have to pay the creators family for movie rights. This movie was supposed to be a one-shot movie. Then WB won so they added in all the CGI DC universe signs and decided to hitch there universe onto the movie instead of going with another Superman movie.

Instead of starting of with Man of Steel 2 to help introduce more DC Universe characters, WB decided to skip ahead and make the overloaded BVS movie by adding in several comic book story arcs, and again got lukewarm rating. This is what happens when you introduce Batman origin, Lex Luthor origin, Doomsdays, Death of Superman, & include some Dark Knight and WW into the mix. Even I was lost sitting in the theater wondering way so many stories were crammed in.

Then came Suicide Squad??? Lets introduce a bunch of bad guys that have not been shown in this universe and hope by adding Will Smith in it will make some money. Again the story made ZERO sense, Joker should have been the main bad guy with Amanda Waller having to form a hit squad to go after Joker. At the end Enchantress should have escaped leading them to Justice League Dark.

Wonder Woman was a great movie and saved WB from yet another poor movie, but really did she have to kill Ares?

Next we get Justice League that is already getting redone, this means it was just a crazy mess of a movie...

Aquaman seems to have both Ocean Master, Black Manta and at least 2 other villains???

Shazam is not going to include Black Adam?

A Batgirl and/or Birds of Prey movie in the works?

A Nightwing movie in the works?

A different Shazam movie in writing?

Gotham Girls possibly coming out with Leto Joker?

Cyborg movie has been dropped, Flash & Green Lantern Corps is in limbo?

SS2 in writing with Leto Joker?

Man of Steal 2 may have Shazam vs Black Adam?

Now we get reports that The Batman has a new director with a new script and it could possible not exist in the DCEU or it like WW in binging a prequel movie.

A Joker origin movie is on the books that doesn't tie into the DCEU? What purpose does this movie have? They are going to have to cast a new Batman and this version is going to be different than the DCEU which will confuse that non-comic book viewers?

WB/DC jumped into this without any sort of plan like Marvel has done, and you can tell. There schedule has changed so much that I gave up on my site with all the announced movies and denounced movies. Now it seems WB/DC is just going to release movies on both fronts in hopes that something will make money. DC Movies

In my own opinion, it boils down to they do not have one person in charge of there movie universe that can guide the writes in what needs to be done. It is a shame since they are a comic book company who has to deal with floating stories that lead up to big cross-overs. To reporters of chroniclers (like myself) this seems to be a crazy plan at making movies, but this is what happens when you do not have a plan before you begin to work on a massive movie franchise.

I am curious as to what others think of the DCEU and now standalone movies?
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

It's looking more and more like Wonder Woman was the exception. Which is a damn shame because that movie was just about perfect.

It's too bad WW wasn't the first film in DC's cinematic universe...it would've established a completely different tone from the beginning. Then all they'd have to do is keep Zack Snyder as far away from everything as possible and they'd be good to go.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

I also saw that the upcoming Batman movie with Affleck directed by Matt Reeves is also a standalone film and not part of the DCEU. It may have been a rumor site, not a newssite (though there's not much difference between the two these days as comics journalism is at an all-time low point imho).

I don't think WB cares much about anything except the bottom line with the DC properties in film. As long as they make enough money, they'll keep on keeping on with what they have. I think they were disappointed with some of the box office takes because they had unrealistic expectations, The movies did well, just not as well as they wanted them to do. Wonder Woman exceeded expectations which I think may inflate suit projections and expectations for revenue. They will only be concerned when these movies stop making money. Coherency, quality, faithfulness to the source material-these things are irrelevant to box office take and revenue from home video sources. They don't care what people think or say as long as those people continue to open up their wallets. If that changes, then they will start to look at what people are saying. The changes you see to Justice League will be typical of their reaction and level of listening though. Hey Wonder Woman did better than expected, that must be what people want and will shell out money for so let's shift things to be like that, just as their original reaction was people liked and shelled out money for the Nolan Batman movies so let's make the other DC movies like that. That's the way big studio Hollywood works, they are always chasing trends and are usually a step behind. The only reason there is a DCEU and not a series of standalone movies to begin with is because they saw the trend start with Marvel and make money. Nothing you see, hear, or read about the upcoming movies is set in stone. It is the status quo now, but as each movie comes out and does well or poorly at the box offices, the suits will chase what they see the trends being that caused the success or failure and the remaining movies will be changed or fixed to suit their whims at the time. It's all fluid and all based on revenue for the studio. A big name like Scorsese wants to do a Joker movie, Joker is popular but he wants to do it his own way not tying into other movies, okay it should make money, let's do it. Leto's Joker can sell other films and make us money, sure why not. It's all good as long as the revenue keeps flowing. When it stops, then they'll do something different. Whatever plans they have won't survive first contact with the next movie release and reaction. They will change and change again as the next release hits as the only constant will be chasing the trends and the revenue.

-M
      Last edited by MRP; Aug 24, '17, 4:01 PM.
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Moxen
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 6, 2016

In this thread, I feel the passion of people who know and care about the source material!

I only wish the people who made the decisions that led to the DCEU did too.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Apparently, supposedly, the answer is Flashpoint. A while back, movie Flash made an offhand remark about crossing paths with Gustin in the flick. It didn't get a lot of coverage, but it also coincided as the multiverse comics were playing out and Johns had officially become Chief Creative at WB. Since then, we've had small bits pop up, such as the Flash movie becoming Flashpoint. Flashpoint being to JL what Civil War is to Avengers, and Wonder Woman replacing Batman as the secondary hero...because Flashpoint is going to be how Affleck disappears.

To me, it seems like WB wants established names taking creative control but they have no interest in John's DCU. So Flashpoint is going to set off an Elseworlds movieverse and from that, WB can pick what they want to continue with.

I find the Leto info most interesting as it comes out right after Scorcese. I'm taking it as Leto's agent flipped out and called in a pay-or-play on his contract. Since WB has to pay Leto for two more outings either way, they're going to center the character and stripmine it for the next six years, or they're expecting Leto to get agitated enough to accept a buyout. Leto passed up Strange and some other roles for Joker, so WB has to be careful how they handle him, but they also know he's the most temperamental actor since Penn.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Matt Reeves has clarified and confirmed via Twitter that the standalone Batman movie will be part of the DCEU:

"Just to be clear: Of COURSE Batman will be part of the D.C. Universe. Batman will be BATMAN"
            "In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman...not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn't be filled with cameos servicing other stories -- that it would be a BATMAN story."
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Reeves' insinuating it's our fault for assuming a Batman film would contain other JL members, when nobody said that. The best I can give him is he's trying to say "I'm not jamming Wonder Woman into this", but again...who was expecting that?

I think Monitor's original post gets to the heart as it's beginning to feel like Scorsese Joker wasn't supposed to get out this early and the Multi/Elseworld idea is tectonic to everything outside Wonder Woman.
              Last edited by hedrap; Aug 25, '17, 6:22 PM.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 13, 2016

I read recently that Batgirl has been given the green light (no release date) and Joss Whedon will write/direct. That gives me hope.
                I HOPE they see that the DCEU needs some serious tweaking before it gets so bad they have to re-boot everything.
                With Joss Whedon getting to edit JLA I'm hopeful that DC can find their footing on the big screen and establish themselves as something DC fans can actually be excited about.
                Or they just do a new Wonder Woman every year and give up on the rest of the extended universe.
                Diana

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
                  I read recently that Batgirl has been given the green light (no release date) and Joss Whedon will write/direct. That gives me hope...
                  Diana
                  Sister...after the eruption this past week over his ex-wife's op/ed...

"He used his relationship with me as a shield ... so no one would question his relationships with other women or scrutinize his writing as anything other than feminist," she writes

....there're about a 2% chance Whedon will be with WB/DC post-JL reworking. He's now radioactive to marketing/pr.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Well, I for one was happy to hear that the BATMAN movie would be a stand-alone movie with no cameos of other heroes. I'm glad WB is allowing the Director to do this and not forcing him to make all kinds of tie ins...just make a good solid Batman movie and I'll be happy.
                    sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by The Bat
                      Well, I for one was happy to hear that the BATMAN movie would be a stand-alone movie with no cameos of other heroes. I'm glad WB is allowing the Director to do this and not forcing him to make all kinds of tie ins...just make a good solid Batman movie and I'll be happy.
                      I agree with this, same deal with Superman too if they decide to make another Supes movie.
                      The heroes can get together in the Justice League movie (s)

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by hedrap
                        Sister...after the eruption this past week over his ex-wife's op/ed...

"He used his relationship with me as a shield ... so no one would question his relationships with other women or scrutinize his writing as anything other than feminist," she writes

....there're about a 2% chance Whedon will be with WB/DC post-JL reworking. He's now radioactive to marketing/pr.
                        Yeah, I read that article a few days ago. *shrug*
                        As a woman who is married to a man that has an ex-wife, I may have a slanted opinion on this. I will just leave it at that cuz that's a WHOLE different thing.
                        Has DC made any comments on it? I haven't been actively looking for articles on it.

Diana

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
                          Yeah, I read that article a few days ago. *shrug*
                          As a woman who is married to a man that has an ex-wife, I may have a slanted opinion on this. I will just leave it at that cuz that's a WHOLE different thing.
                          Has DC made any comments on it? I haven't been actively looking for articles on it.

Diana

When release comes in November, I don't know what they're going to do. Hard to believe no outlet is working on an expose of his past and wouldn't want to time it against the JL publicity run. Putting his personal problems aside, he's a very angry guy so people got stories. After all the crap JL has been through, he's the last headache WB needs.

Comment

• wise guy
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 29, 2014

DC should have done Teen Titans in place of Justice League because they had really good
                            luck with the cartoons. Cyborg looks like a big mess in JLA and Flash is even worse.
                            Aquaman, and Wonder woman are good, but with no Green Lantern, or Martian Manhunter
                            this whole thing sucks. The worst part is that this is an extension of that horrible
                            Batman/ Superman movie and Steppenwolf is a third rate villan . It's too bad that they can't learn from W.B and popular cartoon series (IMO)

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎