X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Recent haul from Jim & Dan's Comic & Toy Show near Dayton, OH

A week ago Sunday, I got out to my first show in several months, the first since getting back on my feet after surgery. Jim & Dan's is a quarterly show held at the student center of a local university (it used to be held in the old historic Hara Arena, but they tore that down last year and it moved to campus). It's a solid larger small show run by a couple of local dealers and brings out a wide variety of comic and toy dealers from the Miami Valley area plus out to Columbus way and form Indiana and Kentucky. Most of the creator guests are local creators, mostly small press, but some have done major industry work.

My budget was limited after being out of work for three months, but I wanted to walk around and experience a comic and toy show again. I did bring home some goodies though....

from one of the local creators, Adam Fields, whose stuff I really dig, I picked up the second issue of his self-published book Prowl...

I picked up 4 of the last 8 issues I needed to complete my run of Savage Sword of Conan...

and 2 of the 5 issues I needed to complete my run of Epic Illustrated...

loving all things Flash Gordon, I picked up this carded Dale Arden figure from the toy line supporting the 90s animated teen Flash Gordon series...

and picked up these GA DC hero figs for $5 a pop, I think, but I am not sure, they are Eaglemoss chess pieces but again I am likely wrong, but the looked good so I got them...

one dealer was blowing out trades, and I got the Private Eye hardcover by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin (I love Martin's Ditko-esque art style) for $10, normally a $50 msrp...

I also picked up a handful of $5 trades for some reading material....

the same dealer I picked up Private Eye from had a bunch of 3/$1 comic bins and I dug out some 80s treasures there...

filled out my runs of both DNAgests series (with the exception of the last issues of the first series)

and filled all the holes in my Pacific and First Comics Elric series...

again being a lover of Flash Gordon, I decided to give the Ardden series form a few years back a looksie at 33 cents an issue...

and I love discovering new stuff in anthologies, so I snagged a couple issues of Dark Horse Presents and the American version of Metal Hurlant form those 3/$1 bins too...

also picked up a couple of GNs form the 80s for $2 each...one of Chaykin's American Flagg GNs and Sisterhood of Steel, the sequel to the 8 issue series that came out through Marvel's Epic imprint...

lastly I picked up a couple of pins from the guys who run the lcs closest to me who were at the show...

I also got the program (with samples form participants) form this year's SPACE show (Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) that is held in Columbus in the spring, but I missed it as I was laid up and flyers from othe rupcoming shows-missing is the flyer for the upcoming Columbus Toy show which I attended for the first time last year)

Not a bad haul for me, with a limited budget. I focused more on comics than toys this time around because of the budget and because my wife dropped me off so I had to carry whatever I bought. The best part was jsut running into old acquaintances, creators, dealers, etc. and talking comics and toys for a few hours and digging through boxes looking for treasures.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Fate and Spectre are from the PVC DC Direct JSA set. Wonder Woman is from another DCD set.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by hedrap
      Fate and Spectre are from the PVC DC Direct JSA set. Wonder Woman is from another DCD set.
      that was my second guess. I had a couple of the Eaglemoss pieces (Supergirl & Hawkman) and these were roughly the same size and style of sculpt, but they looked to be of a different material, but I don't know enough about the Eaglemoss full product line to know if they used different materials. I knew of the JSA PVC sets, I had just never seen them to be sure they were those.

I have a bunch of Fate and Spectre merch (they're among my favorite DC characters) and my wife is a huge WW fan, so I grabbed those from the dealer, but he had no idea where they were from, they were part of a lot he had picked up at an auction house. He had about a dozen different DC characters plus a bunch of Marvel and DC action figures and Happy Meal toys ll from that auction lot he had gotten. I did get the info about the auction house that holds weekly auctions, and isn't too far from me, so I may go check it out some week. He says there are a lot of comic and toy lots that show up there, but it has stuff from tools to household items to jsut about anything up for auction on any given week.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Love the Fate and Spectre pieces! As a huge fan of both characters, the trip would've been worth it for those alone, but WW just sweetened the pot! Nice haul!
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎