• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Defenders SPOILERS

***SPOILERS***

Ok, just got though watching all 8 episodes.

Conclusion?

7 out of 10...it was a cool series but with lots of subpar stuff.

Look, I love Elektra, and that actress is awesome, and unlike the actor playing Iron Fist, she actually has 10 years of martial arts experience, and it showed...she was way more fluid and polished than the awkward Iron Fist actor....

...having said that...

...Elektra continually whips all four Defenders at once? All by herself?? In one scene...she manages to knock out Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage out? And not just out, they wake up at the hospital, lol.

Did the producers forget that both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have superhuman strength?

Luke Cage was so underpowered...it was not even funny...he was the punching bag of the bunch.

Danny Rand...oh boy...that petulant, emotional, temper tantrum dude...earned the Iron Fist? Why????????? How?????????

Foggy, the redhead from True Blood, etc...why were they even in the show is beyond me, they brought nothing...I fast forward through their scenes.

That Misty detective, soooooooooo annoying...and also useless...

Supposedly the Hand was a threat to the entire City of New York. But the only thing they managed to do was create a lame little tremor that would not wake up most Californians from a deep sleep, lol. If they created that, and their intent was to destroy, then why not go all the way then, why stop there. What were they waiting for?

The hand was composed of a dying White woman, a tiny Chinese old lady, some crazed Puerto Rican, an African/Rastafarian dude...and a Japanese guy who understood English but only spoke in Japanese, lol. The evil United Nations, lol.

That was the threat?

Ok, so they had a few dozen ninjas or whatever...a well equipped S.W.A.T. team would've taken them out in half an hour, lol.

Ok, suspend disbelief, let's say the Hand are a real threat, fine. So why instead of Delta Force, Navy Seals, FBI, CIA, U.S. Marshalls, heck, the National Guard...instead of all that available...you only have Misty, her cliche angry Captain...and two patrol cars??? That was it, lol.

The show felt so small in scope.

Sigourney Weaver's character was wasted altogether...the way she was offed was so lame, so lame.

Other than that, it was nice seeing the Defenders meeting each other, that was part was cool...and overall, the action was not bad...

Please, no more the Hand storylines, please...no more, retire them already, yawn...

Can't wait for The Punisher...I think that one is gonna rule...

Last edited by Hector; Aug 23, '17, 2:10 PM.
    sigpic
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Just curious, are you familiar with the comics at all?

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I like Misty and she's certainly an important character in all of this.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Hey, I have no problem with the comics, and yes, read the comics...but it failed to translate on the show.

I'm not talking about the comics...my focus is how the Defenders show and its storyline unfolded, and it was, ok.

Whatever logic or not...the show had a low budget and it showed. It felt small, really small. I felt forced threat when in reality, there was none. To me, New York was never in danger, most New Yorkers were yawning at the Hand. Ok, one empty building was blown up, courtesy of law breaking Defenders, lol.

Again, big story, small results.

I can't wait for Punisher...and look...I'll watch Defenders 2, but I just didn't love this one...
        sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Ok, I liked the series, but I really am baffled by the ending. So the police show up at the building and they are ready to arrest the Defenders for escaping custody, stealing evidence, and at the very least destroying property. The SWAT team meets them in the lobby and Cage basically says " I can't let this happen." They just the scene and we don't know what he did to convince the SWAT to turn around and run but from the outside, the captain sees them all run out just before the building explodes. And somehow, they aren't cuffed or even watched as the building falls.

Why? Why did the police suddenly not find them to be persons of interest? I mean, they could say "Well, we had to blow up that building to destroy this secret underground ninja organization that has been threatening the city..." but they have no evidence at all except for stories and if I were the police, I would be pretty convinced that the ninja story was a lie.

So did I miss something? How did they go from surrounded by the SWAT team to out on the street with no charges? I mean, Misty Knight could have said something I guess, but all she saw was a couple of guys with swords fighting Claire and Colleen Wing. They could have explained it at the end when Foggy was telling Cage that everything had been dropped, but he basically just said "Everything has been dropped." I don't know, I'm lost.

I did roll my eyes pretty hard in the last episode when Luke Cage said not only "...not by a long shot" but also "Not on my watch." Ugh.

Otherwise, I liked it quite a bit. I even liked Danny Rand this time. I'm still hoping they do a story where he finally realizes that his "punch now, ask questions later" approach doesn't work very well. I started re-watching Jessica Jones. I forgot nearly all of it, so It's like having a new series.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Just finished the series, agree with a lot of what Hector said, altho I pretty much think it was a mediocre mess on every level.

But I'm happy that there were only 8 eps, and that some were only 45 minutes long.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

so no Hyperion, Nighthawk? Nebula? Red Guardian? Egghead? :(

no "Day of the Defenders"?

damn.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Supposedly the lowest viewed show in Marvel-Flix.

Makes sense since Iron Fist left a bad taste.

Punisher will end up the largest viewed of all. Netflix is going to want to start S2 on that asap so Disney can't delay it for the changeover.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

From fave to least:

1. Jessica Jones 1
                  2. Daredevil 2
                  3. Daredevil 1
                  4. Luke Cage 1
                  5. The Defenders 1
                  6. Iron Fist 1

I have a feeling Punisher 1 will shoot (no pun intended) to the top...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                    Just finished the series, agree with a lot of what Hector said, altho I pretty much think it was a mediocre mess on every level.

But I'm happy that there were only 8 eps, and that some were only 45 minutes long.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I enjoyed it but there were a lot of slow points, too much talking. took way to long for DD to suit up

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎