Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STAR WARS: Obi Wan Kenobi Movie is Going to Happen!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I understand Han Solo and Obi Wan movies but Jabba!? I am not watching a CGI slug for 2 hours.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I understand Han Solo and Obi Wan movies but Jabba!? I am not watching a CGI slug for 2 hours.
      I don't work with Lucasfilm top brass. So, I have no idea what they'd do with a Jabba movie.

But I'd suggest they use the archetypal mob group gangster film The Godfather somewhat as a template... and if they DID do that, well then, look at how Coppola utilized Brando in that movie.

Brando played the title role, and that character was central to the Godfather plot, yet he was not physically present for much of the film.

Whatever movie they choose to do (Jabba,Obi Wan, etc)... it all comes down to production choices.... most notably the script, and these days I have to add, also notably: A cohesive vision corralled by a focused Director (w/minimal studio interference).

It is incredibly short-sighted to view this any other way. Even the most mundane scenarios can make great drama if handled correctly.

How do you think Rian Johnson, director of The Last Jedi, rose so much in prominence?

They saw his consistently great work on many projects... great work that included the Breaking Bad episode titled "Fly" where you had two characters in one location for an hour show...and that's IT.

Wikipedia explains....

"Fly" has been described as "arguably the most polarizing episode in Breaking Bad history". Differing from most others in its relative lack of action and slow pacing, it is considered by some critics to be one of the best episodes of the series.

It may not have had the typical levels of action of Breaking Bad or Star Wars (how could it, it had one location w/two characters shut off from the outside world the whole episode), but, otherwise it was universally praised.

Ultimately, in the history of producing SW films, there seems to have been only ONE person with enough power to guarantee a mediocre Star Wars movie if written and/or directed by that person (the film franchises previous owner/and creator/and independent producer)... and now he's out of the picture.

Any one else with any influence on a future Star Wars film project will always have the potential to make a stellar Star Wars film with ANY given scenario no matter how mundane it appears to be at first glance... and that's just how it is.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
        It would be awesome if it were this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21450[/ATTACH]
        That's a good issue! Very cool comicbook.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
          Well, like it or not....the movie IS going to be made! The Mouse didn't pay all that money to Lucas to NOT make more Star Wars movies and to me...his one makes perfect sense!
          Sure, I'm not doubting it will get made. I just disagree with the decision. And personally, I don't want to live in world where I can't ***** on the internet about Hollywood's dumb decisions...

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by sprytel
            Sure, I'm not doubting it will get made. I just disagree with the decision. And personally, I don't want to live in world where I can't ***** on the internet about Hollywood's dumb decisions...
            Calling it a dumb decision is simply just your opinion...that and nothing more. That said...you are certainly entitled to one.
            sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              I liked the actor in the role, too. I just don't see what would be so interesting about him hanging out in the desert watching Luke.
              Damn Joe...you nailed it! That's probably what they have planned. A movie about Obi Wan just sitting around his house playing computer Chess and keeping an eye on Luke. Man, why did I see that?! I think you've figured out the script before it is even written.
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Well, it will be interesting to see which direction they go with the movie. They could have it set during latter phase of the Clone Wars and have Obi-Wan on some kind of solo mission without Anakin, or of course have it set during his Tatooine years... (there is actually plenty they could do with that lengthy period).
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                  They could have it set during latter phase of the Clone Wars and have Obi-Wan on some kind of solo mission without Anakin(there is actually plenty they could do with that lengthy period).
                  That's a good idea...I like that!
                  sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

There's plenty of room to tell an all new story of Obi-Wan's time on Tatooine. I mean, he had to do something for money, right?
                    Maybe the aging Jedi takes on the occasional side job undermining the organized crime empire of the Hutts. A good writer with imagination will find all sorts of possibilities.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                      Damn Joe...you nailed it! That's probably what they have planned. A movie about Obi Wan just sitting around his house playing computer Chess and keeping an eye on Luke. Man, why did I see that?! I think you've figured out the script before it is even written.
                      OK, smarty pants, then what is he to do if his job is to watch over Luke? Go across the galaxy and not do his job? Or hang out on the lame desert planet that has already been beaten to death in 4 movies?
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

OK, smarty pants,
                        Hey whoa, language people, no need to resort to this sort of salty talk.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

OK, smarty pants, then what is he to do if his job is to watch over Luke? Go across the galaxy and not do his job? Or hang out on the lame desert planet that has already been beaten to death in 4 movies?
                          You're exactly right regarding NOT leaving Tatooine.

If Kenobi's off-planet, the whole (story) point of the movie is ruined.

On that note, a plot centering on Kenobi foiling a kidnapping of Luke, altho' (as drquest mentioned above) it runs risk of muddying the waters, if done right would really lend legitimacy to that "integral to Star Wars" period of Obi-Wan's life... and since the Rebels "Kenobi vs. Maul" clash already touched upon something similar (in the focus on just Luke himself), maybe enyawd72's idea of Kenobi vs.the Hutt's who specifically are looking to acquire land that includes Owen/Beru/Luke's home is the plot with only a single, fleeting glimpse of 12 year old Luke in the movie to give fans a treat ala Force Awakens.

You have a desert. Homesteads. A kind of "automotive industry". Sandperson pirates and Jawa scavengers. You have the whole Hutt underground including Jabba's palace and Jabba himself. Mos Eisley which is a spaceport and has a bar scene. And who knows what else that I've forgotten or that one could invent (things like Sarlacc pits or Krayt Dragons, etc) ?

What's missing to make something substantial, T-bolt?

EDITED TO ADD: I think it'd be TOTALLY legit to have a Chewbacca cameo, as Kenobi seems familiar with him when first introduced in the 1977 film ("Chewbacca here is first mate on a ship..."), plus there's Yoda's established relationship with Chewie via ROTS (maybe Yoda even visits Kenobi?).
                          Last edited by huedell; Aug 24, '17, 9:58 AM.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

^^ What I was getting at is that Tattoine as a location has been done to death in the movies, 4 so far have featured it prominently. Heck, I am still wondering why Yoda decided to hide him there on Darth Vader's birth planet. Guess it was so obvious Vader would never notice? And before you say he didn't now about Luke, somehow he knew he was his son in Empire, perhaps it was a hunch?
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Hey whoa, language people, no need to resort to this sort of salty talk.
                              LMAO!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

^^ What I was getting at is that Tattoine as a location has been done to death in the movies, 4 so far have featured it prominently.
                                I suppose (as I implied earlier with the Han Solo quote) that it's tricky to take a full 2 hours and make it seem fresh... and there's not much else I can say on that.

Heck, I am still wondering why Yoda decided to hide him there on Darth Vader's birth planet.
                                As said in ROTS...its family. The fact that Owen/Beru were so close with Luke's grandmother... I think that is underratedly substantial.

Guess it was so obvious Vader would never notice?
                                Vader in text has always been portrayed as a suffering character both in mind and in body. The "mind" part of it had a lot to do with "family" issues (as do our own in real life). The new canon take on Vader seems to be heavy on the "Vader has heavy psychological OCD-type issues he's grappling with via life choices" slant. He lives on the planet where his "light side" "died" so as to fuel his anger with the constant reminder... so,maybe the Emperor taught him to never go to Tatooine so as to avoid bringing up his Light Side again (hey, I like my take on that--ha)

See, T-bolt... this kind of thing is something Star Wars fans overall want to hear about.... yeah, anyone and everyone can complain about Rogue One, but despite it being more "unnecessary" story-wise than, say, something more "new" in the SW universe, this "new SW film as fan-fiction" approach seems to be the way to go overall.

Yes, it runs the risk of making things stale, but I dunno, man... if I was a bean-counter, I'd rather risk staleness than risk relying too much on something heavily "new" idea-wise... I mean, there HAS to be a connection to the intellectual property that was purchased for the very reason of that its what fans fell in love with decades ago and will hopefully pay more money to see again.

I'd rather see a movie featuring the creation of the Death Star with a billion self-references to the OT, than some sci-fi fantasy junk I have no nostalgia for.... like, I know Avatar was a smash, but I don't know or want to know the first thing about it. GIMME A TIE-FIGHTER MUTHA TRUKAH!

And before you say he didn't now about Luke, somehow he knew he was his son in Empire, perhaps it was a hunch?
                                It's now canon Boba Fett told him(in the new Marvel comic). And this is due to that after SW77, Vader had a jones for tracking the guy who blew up the Death Star and additionally that he felt was strong in the Force (remember "The Force is strong in that one." from the movie?). So, he sent Fett to investigate.

If I was writing this Obi-Wan movie...instead of a Jabba film... or a bounty hunter film, I'd use the "Godfather" template for the Obi-Wan movie with Jabba filling in for the head of the organization, and IG-88, Bossk and Dengar filling in for the Corleone brothers with Kenobi being in some kind of "mole" role (as suggested above).... or even workingin tandem with a branch of the Imperial police that he could infiltrate without the authorities reporting his presence to the Empire and blowing his cover.

Kenobi having an ally within the Imperial military would be odd, yeah, but that would be another angle of covering how Kenobi survived for about 2 decades without being busted.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎