Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody excited for the eclipse on Monday?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

Not looking forward to it at all. I live in Columbia, MO, and it's supposed to be like like 2 hours and 37 minutes of totality here--people are coming from other states and countries, and our town's supposed to grow by an extra 400% this weekend. Gotta stock up on TP and groceries now!

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      This is a once in a lifetime event. I think the last eclipse like this one was in 1776.
      They are actually more common than you think...unless you meant the trajectory is taking this time...

It is a popular misconception that total solar eclipses are rare occurrence -- they take place about once every 18 months. But how often do total solar eclipses cross the same location on the Earth's surface? That's another story.
      sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by torgospizza
        Not looking forward to it at all. I live in Columbia, MO, and it's supposed to be like like 2 hours and 37 minutes of totality here--people are coming from other states and countries, and our town's supposed to grow by an extra 400% this weekend. Gotta stock up on TP and groceries now!
        Maximum totality is less than three minutes anywhere. Not two and a half hours.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
          They are actually more common than you think...unless you meant the trajectory is taking this time...

https://www.space.com/25644-total-so...explained.html
          I knew what I was talking about. The last one like this was the year our great country was established. I copied this for interested people.

"On August 21, 2017, America will be treated to its first coast-to-coast total solar eclipse in nearly 100 years. It will also be the first total eclipse exclusive to the U.S. since before the nation's founding in 1776. That's why it's being called the NATIONAL ECLIPSE. From Oregon to South Carolina, the eclipse will trace a 67-mile-wide path of totality across the country and millions of Americans will witness a once-in-a-lifetime event as the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun and day turns to night for up to almost three minutes."
          Last edited by LonnieFisher; Aug 18, '17, 8:06 PM.

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

Maximum totality is less than three minutes anywhere. Not two and a half hours.
            You're absolutely right. It's 2 min., 37 sec. or somesuch. I'd read it differently elsewhere, but you're totally correct. I guess it's going to be like 90 minutes start to finish, and a bunch of businesses are closing for a couple hours so their employees can check it out.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I knew what I was talking about. The last one like this was the year our great country was established. I copied this for interested people.

"On August 21, 2017, America will be treated to its first coast-to-coast total solar eclipse in nearly 100 years. It will also be the first total eclipse exclusive to the U.S. since before the nation's founding in 1776. That's why it's being called the NATIONAL ECLIPSE. From Oregon to South Carolina, the eclipse will trace a 67-mile-wide path of totality across the country and millions of Americans will witness a once-in-a-lifetime event as the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun and day turns to night for up to almost three minutes."
              That's why I worded my sentence with the following at the end: ..."unless you meant the trajectory is taking this time..."

I was just going by your non specific place and time..."this is a once in a lifetime event. I think the last eclipse like this one was in 1776"

Place the U.S. somewhere in there and we'll avoid future misunderstandings...

sigpic

Comment

• Duncan
                Museum focus-groupie
                • Jun 27, 2009

In central OH we're supposed to get 87%, or something. That's good enough for me. I got glasses on ebay after doing the research and picking a seller with glasses from his local science museum. I don't think that a counterfeiter would go to that amount of trouble to make fake eclipse glasses, but I'll still check them before using.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Here in the Bay Area, we are going to get only 75% of the eclipse. The effects are not going to be drastic, just 2 min + of from sunny to overcast, then sunny again...but still cool enough to get a kick out of it...
                  Last edited by Hector; Aug 18, '17, 9:50 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I wonder if Kyrie Irving will be watching (special glasses of course)...

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Suppose to be partly cloudy here Monday,so it might put a damper on things.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

Cloudy with rain currently here in Winnipeg,probably no chance of sighting here.
                        Supposed to get 80% in Regina,clear sky there right now.
                        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

I used the UV light glasses to see , it was alright. The last Eclipse I remember was in 1995ish? The news never mentioned that one.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

This is the best pic I could do --- taken with an ancient digital camera with an old film negative held over the lens.

The big blue ball on the bottom is a sprocket hole in the film strip

m
                            Last edited by Mikey; Aug 21, '17, 1:56 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

We drove 20 minutes south to be in some of the longest totality. Grabbed lunch, and sat outside and watched. Very cool indeed. Here's a picture I took with my phone, not great, but it was hard to photograph. Also here's a picture of our dog trying on her eclipse glasses.

Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                                Permanent Member
                                • Sep 15, 2014

Ok the one I remember in school was the Solar eclipse of May 10, 1994

An annular solar eclipse occurred on May 10, 1994. It was visible over a wide swath of North America, from Baja Calfornia across the Midwest of the United States up through Ontario and Nova Scotia in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎