• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Anyone have experience with Dachshunds?

I adopted a senior Dog, Toby (11)
    He is stubborn and shows some aggressive qualities. He growls when he is upset or forced to do something.
    I know this is his last chance so I want him to have a few more good years, but i also don't want him to bite someone and be liable.
    IMG_20161226_162950838.jpg
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

We had two for years...a brother and sister named Hans and Heidi.

Hans was VERY grumpy all the time. He didn't like anyone trying to wake him up, coming near him while he was eating, etc. He would grumble and growl, but he never snapped or bit us.
    Heidi was as sweet as could be. They were complete opposites.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I've got a lot of experience with rescue dogs, and a little experience with a half a dachshund. As far as rescues go I've had a couple that were really difficult and you just have to dgive them time, they've been thru a lot and don't know you at all and also don't know if its going to happen again. The Cairn in my pic was a third time around dog and is the nicest guy but at first he was terrified of getting in the car, assuming he was afraid of getting dumped again. Now he's over it. I did have two aggressive Yorkies and they both eventually got a lot more trusting and less snappy. My Dachshund/Jack Russell mix was perfect from day one from the pound, just some odd quirks but not mean at all.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

High Five for adopting a senior dog...points out to your character, bravo.

Just let the little fella settle down, give him some space, let him get used to his new environment, plenty of love should calm him down...
        sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

When you take him out just make sure you take him on a short leash so you know what he's doing every moment --- or better yet, if there's any by you find some nature trails to walk him on (with leash, of course)

Find a local state park --- they all have trails

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

We adopted a senior dog about ten years ago and, like your new friend, for the first few days, maybe weeks, he was grumpy, agitated, moody, irritable and skittish. The shelter we had adopted him from was far too overcrowded, he was never fed or handled properly and his name was next on the list to be euthanized, so we saved him and brought him home. Once he knew that this was his forever home, he mellowed out completely and easily became one of the best pets we ever had. He passed peacefully in his sleep one night knowing that he was in a place where he was loved which is, IMHO, what all pets seek. Work with your new bud and, when he's made that mental adjustment, he'll come to you as a different dog.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

We have a part long hair dachshund/part who knows what. She was a rescue, about two years old now. She has lovely disposition. She's about the sweetest dog you can imagine. The only issue with her, other than small dog bladder, is the occasional seizure, which I understand is not uncommon for the breed.

So it could just be what your dog has gone through prior to your stepping up and adopting, not the breed itself.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

I don't know about all Dachshunds but ours has some vision issues. She was a little bitey at first when we gave her treats ect, I don't know that she meant it as she had to learn to be gentle. It was clear she couldn't see well close up. We got her at 2 years of age and she had no idea about how to play ect. Her teeth were amazingly sharp and needed items to help her wear them down a bit. We had to teach her to play. her favorite way is getting on top of the ball and growling at you as you touch her. She's not angry just playing keep away. She needed time and now she is good even with babies. Good of you to help this puppy out.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎