Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The death of Nerd Block/Joe Nerds. Is this novelty over?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

I got Nerdbox a couple years ago for maybe, 3 months? But I dropped it because I had no interest in 75% of what was in it. GotG socks, Harry Potter bow ties, invisible ink pens, and a tshirt. I've been getting the DC Legion of Collectors box, and so far it's been ok, but it's also bimonthly. I'm toying with the Disney one as well but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    So when the Funko beanie babies, Excuse me. Funko POP fad runs out (by next summer?), the Funko boxes will go away too. I think a sure sign they're hurting on sales is the fact that lately Funko has been posting the "reveal" videos a week or so before the box closes to encourage orders.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Lordy

As expected by many, Nerd Block, the Canadian geek subscription service and its parent company Fan Blocks has filed for bankruptcy. As part of its filing,

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, Bleeding Cool is really into this story. NB really soaked my pal Eric's company UDON, i feel bad for them.

I don't know who Ramon Perez is but someone told me he lives in my neighbourhood once.

You know less than five years ago i met the founder's (very nice) wife, she worked at a local book store and told me about ShirtPunch, it sounded like it was a home based business. It seems like this company grew really, really quick.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Goblin19
          Just watched the video. I'm really shocked that clearance crap is all that was in those.
          You know that was a parody, right? "
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            it sounded like it was a home based business. It seems like this company grew really, really quick.
            I'd have to parse out each creditor, but it only takes one engine to get the whole train going. Once a big name said "ok" it gave false confidence to everyone.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

I do the Funko DC Comics Legends of Collector's subscription and every once in awhile get a Marvel Comics Collector's Corp box. Most are pretty decent, with a dud here and there. And on some of those, I sold what I didn't like and made my money back, pre-shipping charges. The DC Boxes seem to be getting better. Marvel not so much.

But that's it for me and subscription services. No interest beyond the Funko DC box set.

Comment

• Godzilla
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 3, 2002

My wife got me the Bill Nye monthly box as a gift for 3 months (what can I say, I'm a science nerd). It had some fun projects in it, but I was ok with letting it go.
                Mortui Vivos Docent
                The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                  I'd have to parse out each creditor, but it only takes one engine to get the whole train going. Once a big name said "ok" it gave false confidence to everyone.
                  And that probably wasn't helped by all the local buzz the company got here, they were an interesting news story and he got press of some kind almost every 60 days. Most of the articles claimed he was a 20 million dollar business.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎