X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

NBC to reboot the Munsters

The Munsters vs hipsters. I'll watch it.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Jerry O’Connell as Herman Munster ?

That's just weird

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

do we really need another remake of this? the original show, although a classic now, did not last long. the two attempted reboots failed, including the Jerry O'Connell pilot from 2012

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        the two attempted reboots failed,
        Six, six reboots. First there was the Mini-Munsters cartoon pilot, which was intended to go to series, but didn't. I hear that The Munsters' Revenge was supposed to be a pilot for a revival that didn't get picked up. Then there was the Munsters Today, which was actually quitely successful, even outlasting the original series by a single episode. After that there were two TV movies (Here Come the Munsters, The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas) which both had completely different casts from one another. Finally there was Mockingbird Lane, and we all know how that turned out. So five times out of six, rebooting the Munsters has been unsuccessful.
        The hands that grip.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not a great Munsters fan; I prefer the Addams Family.

But, I don't begrudge any of these efforts. Doubtless Uni wants to retain their copyright, and I think there are things to enjoy in all of these adaptations. If a die-hard fan didn't embrace them, there's always the original to continue to enjoy.

As with the Addams, I think you can cherry-pick the versions that appeal to you. Both properties are unlikely to garner huge ratings amongst a broad audience.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            do we really need another remake of this? the original show, although a classic now, did not last long. the two attempted reboots failed, including the Jerry O'Connell pilot from 2012
            I actually didn't mind the John Schuck "The Munsters Today" remake ... especially thought Howard Morton as Grampa was crazy-good casting and very watchable.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^ I agree, Mikey.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

I would be all onboard for an Addams Family reboot... but I don't see the need for yet another Munsters reboot.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Love the classic Munsters tv show, Grandpa was my favorite, and thought the first Marilynn was much prettier than
                  the second. I also enjoyed the Adams Family too, loved Lurch and cousin It.

I didn't think much of the two Munster movies they made with the original cast, except that it was made in color
                  and as far as I know the original cast of the Adams Family never made a movie.

I think the Adams family would be a better fit as a reboot then a Munsters one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I like Munsters Go Home, but for some reason, my daughter bypasses that one most of the time and goes for Munster's Revenge on the same DVD set. It's okay, but it screams "80s TV movie" and not in a good way. She really likes Bob Hastings as the Phantom of the Opera for some inconceivable reason.

But hey, she's watching the Munsters, so I'm not complaining!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^What's inconceivable about that? I love Bob's cameo as Uncle Eric, your daughter has good taste.

The TV movie as a whole is meh, but so is the Munsters feature IMO. I'll admit it's a challenge to keep all the TV movies straight in my head, I can recall them by cast.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 14, '17, 8:12 PM.

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                        I actually didn't mind the John Schuck "The Munsters Today" remake ... especially thought Howard Morton as Grampa was crazy-good casting and very watchable.
                        Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        ^ I agree, Mikey.
                        Schuck always seemed too . . . dimwitted on that show (rather than goofball like Gwynn) for my tastes. But I thought Lee Meriwether was just eerily close to DeCarlo as Lily!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                          Love the classic Munsters tv show, Grandpa was my favorite, and thought the first Marilynn was much prettier than
                          the second. I also enjoyed the Adams Family too, loved Lurch and cousin It.

I didn't think much of the two Munster movies they made with the original cast, except that it was made in color
                          and as far as I know the original cast of the Adams Family never made a movie.

I think the Adams family would be a better fit as a reboot then a Munsters one.
                          I think they did do an Addams Family TV Movie. It was a Halloween special with most of the original cast,if I remember right.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Who would win in al all out battle to the death?

The Addams Family or The Munsters?

sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                              Who would win in al all out battle to the death?

The Addams Family or The Munsters?

The Addams...they're just psychotic.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎