• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions Episode 55: Tarzan

Episode 55 is all about the Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan of the Apes

J&B (the hosts, not the crappy scotch) discuss their initial exposure to the Lord of the Jungle in his many television, film, print and comic adaptions over their life times culminating with last summer's adaptation.

Some of the subjects we touch upon are Mego action figures, DC and Marvel, Filmation, Mike Henry, Doctor Who, Chimp Genitals, Dakin, Casper Van Diem, Ron Ely, Batman, Sheena, John Carter of Mars, Flash Gordon, At the Earth's Core, toys, Big Jim and oodles more.

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Great episode. I'm glad you guys really liked last year's film. I basically went to it based on good word of mouth, and my son was a bit dubious, but we both loved it, and bought it on Blu as soon as it came out. We've watched it several time and Cindy really liked it as well. I'd love to see this cast return for a sequel. And as Andrew and I walked out of the theater, I told him it reminded me a bit of the Filmation show, which I honestly haven't seen since I was a kid.

I like the Disney film, and the follow-up animated series wasn't bad. I watched a lot of that with Andrew when he was younger. He felt like the new movie was a nice update to that, so the circle is complete.

Oh, and Tony Goldwyn is probably best known as Patrick Swayze's treacherous friend in Ghost. And yes, I knew that off the top of my head. I have the sickness as well.

Another bit of useless trivia: Mike Henry was on the top of the list to play Batman in an unproduced series from the early 60s, and then was on the list for Dozier's series in '66. And yes, he was Junior in the Smokey and the Bandit films. So, Jock Manhoney was Sally Field's stepdad, and he played her fiance in those films. Weird.

Oh, and Jock Mahoney was on Batman as one of Catwoman's gang member's (tiger striped shirt and all), and was the lead in Universal's "lost world" film, The Land Unknown. So you almost got your "Tarzan vs. Dinosaurs" movie Brian!

Chris

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

That Tarzan scream in the beginning sure woke me up on my commute to work this morning!
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Allie Fox
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 1, 2009

Trendmasters Tarzan Toys!

This commercial is from about '96-'97. Note that Trendmasters advertises these toys with a floppy disk and a website. A website. . . in 1996-97?!?!
        If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Hey, DC was advertising their AOL site in their comics of the time.

I remember those being all over Tomart's and Lee's of the time.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

As always, a joy to listen to. I've always kind of liked the old Tarzan films. They used to run every Sunday afternoon on a local channel when I was growing up, and I think I saw all of the Weissmuller films a couple of times over that span. Johnny Weissmuller was an Olympic swimming star (he at one time had the record for most medals in a single Summer Olympics, and he had records that stood until the days of Mark Spitz; in fact, one of his OR times was in place until Michael Phelps rewrote the record books), and he definitely gave his all in what limited scripts he had (after the first couple, they really weren't trying much at all with the stories, though he did travel to New York long before Joe Lara).

When the Trendmasters toys came out, I remember a story about the fact that the Tarzan yell in those figures was a voice chip using Weissmuller's recording.

Even though, at the time, I was more into the Lone Ranger and Zorro segments on the hour they shared with Tarzan, I definitely liked the Filmation cartoon. I will have to see the most recent film based on these recommendations.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bravestarr
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 26, 2017

Great show thank you

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                Trendmasters Tarzan Toys!

This commercial is from about '96-'97. Note that Trendmasters advertises these toys with a floppy disk and a website. A website. . . in 1996-97?!?!
                About the time the web was starting to show us what it was really going to be. (More than a "trend")

I don't remember that line, though. However, it looks like it had some depth to it.

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfi...temlist&id=350

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Always a Tarzan fan. I need to see the recent film. I will admit to loving the Disney film/musical, and I'd buy that series on dvd in an instant.

I was a huge fan of the Filmation version, which actually led me to read Burroughs for the first time. I liked the Lara series, too.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

My Grandpa was a huge ERB fan and had every Tarzan paperback a few times over. I even have the smaller Dakin Tarzan moc I got from him.

He had the loose Mattel big jim Tarzan with the black Gorilla and Panther I didn't know how rare they were until after he got rid of them.

I have every mego Tarzan item. Luckily there are only 2. I really did the bend-n-flex Tarzan, I picked him up cheap to boot.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎