Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kokomo Toys in Indiana - who's been there?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Kokomo Toys in Indiana - who's been there?

My wife is planning a road trip next month and she wants to take me to Kokomo Toys.
    Pics look like it is pretty well organized and should make for a nice shopping trip (i'm not a dig through buckets and buckets kind of guy).
    Despite organization, it is kinda hard to tell what they have...some video spots show loads of vintage boxed Star Wars stuff.
    Anyone here a local there?
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I've been there multiple times. It's a great place to find some really cool stuff, just look around in amazement at all the geeky goodness and enjoy some great conversation with the owners. BTW, there's a pretty good Irish pub right across the street that makes killer burgers...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

I've been there a few times too. Definitely a big, clean, neat store stocked with all kinds of stuff from the 70s & 80s to present day. Plan to be in there for a couple of hours.

And I second the comment about the owners. They're really nice, and even gave us a good recommendation for their favorite Mexican place. I believe there is a comic book next door to the toy store, too, if you're into that.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

It's a day trip my wife and I are considering too after she found their Facebook page. Probably in the spring onc eI am fully back on my feet after surgery and our budget has had time to recover too.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I had no idea about this. Been to Kokomo a few times. Has it been there long?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Not sure exactly how long they've had a brick-and-mortar operation, Chris, but I know they've been in physical business long enough to have moved from a previous, smaller location to their present, much roomier place. They are on what I guess is, or was, one of the main downtown drags and they are next to a nice gaming store and a comics shop not too far from there.
            Last edited by emeraldknight47; Aug 10, '17, 8:11 AM. Reason: Typo
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

It's definitely worth a day trip or an out-of-the-way stop-off on a road trip.
              I think I've been 3 times... and I always leave with some treasures!

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I had no idea about this. Been to Kokomo a few times. Has it been there long?

Chris
                The owners posted yesterday they are setting up at the Columbus Toy show this fall, so you can meet the owners there if you are attending this year.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Jacksonmob
                  • Nov 16, 2014

I have been a couple of times. Depending on what you are looking for you need a couple hours to spend there. Wife plans to take me soon for my B-day. I will say that for action figures of all kinds I have not seen a better place to shop.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The owners posted yesterday they are setting up at the Columbus Toy show this fall, so you can meet the owners there if you are attending this year.
                    Thanks. I wonder if they are setting up at the Cincinnati show that is coming from the same folks?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I've been through Kokomo dozens of times in my life going to visit relatives in Michigan. I had not know about this store until recently. My brother and I are planning a trip in Nov to take my Dad up north to visit his sister. I hope to stop and check it out if we go through there while it open.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Gadgeteer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 16, 2014

It's just a wonderful place, nice people and they have tons of stuff for every type of action figure collector!
                        I geek out every time I go there.
                        sigpic

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

cool, well - I will be there in a few weeks to find out. My wife was saying something about them having weird hours...she was checking on it.
                          I think I would like something vintage cool - but I am a budget minded kind of guy too...we will see

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

They do have quite a bit of vintage stuff as well as the higher priced Sideshow and Hot Toys offerings and they're displays are laid out super nice so it's easy to see everything. As far as weird hours---dunno about that. They have what I would deem to be the usual hours for a small, independent toy shoppe in a slightly off the beaten path area. If memory serves I think they're open until six or seven and closed on Sundays and possibly Mondays.

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

stopped in today to check the place out. Huge and very organized. Lots of stuff for everyone. They had Hot Toys, but not the Adam West Batman I hoped to see. Some Mego - loose/incomplete figures, some figures in custom boxes, couple MOC Trek figures. Prices were, meh..$60 for a MOC T2 Kirk...something like $125 on a loose T2 Green Goblin missing his bag.
                              Fair amount of vintage Star Wars toys; some boxed. I had my eye out for a vintage Creature Cantina, but they did not have it. Did pick up a 12" Chewbacca complete with his box. They have a couple complete vintage boxed Castle Greyskull playsets....I was tempted....
                              Some Shogun Warriors - they had Gen1 and Gen3 Mazinga figures in various states of completeness (if that is even a word). One had a pretty beat up box.
                              I was prepared to spend hella $$$ there, but they really were not too receptive to haggling...prices are close, if not $10-$30 higher than most eBay completed listings on stuff I was looking at. Plus, the boxed Star Wars ships I was looking at were C grade at best....better stuff for cheaper can be had on eBay. But, they are brick and mortar and I was ok spending a bit more on Chewie than I prolly should have...and I have two more days in this town - might go back and shop some more lol

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎