X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

LEGO Xeno

Pics of my work in progress Lego style Alien Xenomorph.

This monster is a monster of a kit to build. I am at about 10 hours right now. 3 for the base, an hour for each leg, and another 3 plus on the torso.
    Super fun model to put together. Just thought I would share since there was a thread about Aliens and LEGO a while back. Mego in the last picture to show scale of the build.

IMG_0485.jpg IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0489.jpg IMG_0490.jpg
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^Is that a "custom" kit using real Lego parts? Either way, NICE.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Is that real Lego one? Using the Brothers book for assembly instructions? Or is that the Chinese knockoff set?

The Chinese knockoff, called Xingbao, is currently being sued by Lego. It's easier to build too, because you don't have to gather the bricks from different sellers...it's all in one package. Way cheaper too, one third the price.

I built and have an authentic Lego Alien that took two months ordering the bricks through BrickLink and BrickOwl...I ordered from 30 different sellers, as none have all the parts at once.

The real Lego is a tad heavier than the Chinese knockoff.

Took me hours and hours to complete it myself, 2000+ bricks.

I also finished the Arvo Brothers Alien Chestburster (800+ bricks).

Both are awesome...
      Last edited by Hector; Aug 9, '17, 4:46 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^Is that a "custom" kit using real Lego parts? Either way, NICE.

Chris
        Two ways to build it.

a)

Buy the book from the Arvo Brothers (from Spain). Go to BrickLink, BrickOwl, eBay, and start gathering the pieces. Very time consuming, as sellers won't have all the bricks to build it, so you have to shop around. I must've ordered from close to 30 different sellers. It gets pricey, as shipping can accumulate quickly upwards...

“Offset printing and hard cover, more than just simple instruction manuals.” *** Available products:

Brick Owl is the new place to buy and sell LEGO Parts, Minifigures and Sets. Start by browsing the Catalog to find that spare part that you need. If you have several items you want, create a Wishlist and start filling it up with cool parts.

Get the best deals for lego bricks at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Or...

b)

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

The Chestburster has one super expensive Lego brick, it's part number 6177. The Dark Red is the grail, very rare and in demand...it's the round puddle of blood under the Chestburster base...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6177&name=Tile,%20Round%208%20x %208&category=%5BTile,%20Round%5D#T=S&C=59&O={"col or":"59"}

I bought that lone brick for $36...it was shipped all the way from Denmark...as not one USA seller had one in stock...

sigpic

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

The Arvo Bros have licensed their builds and instructions to Xing Bao. That company is sort of the legit extension of the Lepin company which is the entity that is having the issues with LEGO. Lepin is making exact copies of LEGO kits and selling them. The XB kits are either company created, or the rights are purchased from the build creators to sell as a kit. Only saying that as I don't consider this to be a knockoff, tho I would call anything that Lepin is making a counterfeit.

This is the AB kit from XingBao. I would say the bricks are not quite the quality that LEGO produces, but they are as good as, or better than other competing bricks such as Mega Blocks, or Kreo. The instructions are printed in a very nice booklet with information on the creator of the build. As an organizational bonus, the 2000+ parts are in baggies that correspond with the build component that you are working on, just as the large LEGO kits are. i.e. the torso is instruction set 3, and all baggies marked 3 have components for this build. Maybe not as fun as sorting it all out yourself with several bulk buys from brick link, et al, but very similar to making any 2000+ piece kit from LEGO.

It also makes me happy to know that the Arvo Bros got some sort of compensation for the sale of this kit, rather than a bootleg company compiling the parts with a fuzzy photocopied assembly book. If a builder wants to purchase directly from AB, I'm not sure if they are still selling their ALIEN book on their site, but that tome has some beautiful pics of the build, and a breakdown of parts used in it for anyone who chooses to find all LEGO components.

I purchased an AB pdf of the chestburster instructions awhile back. I may go the route of finding parts for that build, or I may do a combo and purchase the XingBao kit as well. It might be worth it just for the blood plate.

I am also thinking of modding the build on this one to look like the first version of the Arvo Bros Alien I saw and making a clear dome with glow bricks at the front of the skull.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

btw - Hec I'd love to see pics of your finished build, and the chestburster. It would have been fun to hear about the sleuthing for parts when you were getting things together to build it.
              I plan to take some better pics than the crappy phone ones I was documenting the finished stages with once I am done.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Yeah, Lepin should not be doing exact Lego replicas...I have a problem with them, I won't buy their stuff. But I have no problems with its extension, Xingbao, as Arvo Brothers are exclusively custom projects that Lego never made.

Yes, the Arvo Brothers Alien book is beautiful...

Well, the thrill of the build is more fun than the actual gathering of searching and buying bricks from different sellers as it can get rather tedious and frustrating. But no pain, no gain, lol.

I have my big Alien Chap Xenomorph broken down in four parts right now. I'm trying to reinforce its stand, as it's a little shaky, especially for where I live, California, earthquake country. I use Museum putty for all my collections...but the Alien is most fragile around the knees and feet standing on the base.

How does yours stand? Looks like you are getting close to completion, but remember, the more weight it accumulates on top, the less sturdy is going to be, especially with the addition of head and arms.

I enjoyed building the Chestburster a lot more, for one, it has 1200 less bricks, plus its colorful, unlike the black and gray Alien. You will have more fun with it. Very sturdy too, no balancing issues, it's a grounded piece.

I'll post a few pics in a bit...
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Lego Arvo Brothers Alien Chestburster...

This round flat brick at the bottom was the most expensive piece, almost $40, that hurt, lol...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Lego Arvo Brothers Alien Xenomorph, complete, but separated it sections for temporary storage (I'm currently designing my Alien display)...

For those who want to see the crazy little parts that helped shape this fella, I can't believe I built this sucker, lol...

I was missing this one tiny piece, had to order it, have it now...

I was still missing more, part of the spine, lol...

I'm NOT a Lego expert, I'm an Alien fan, but I had to finish these for my collection. If I could build it, anyone can, it's just very time consuming...like my dear thread starting fellow Alien/Lego friend here...

Last edited by Hector; Aug 9, '17, 8:17 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

More Chestburster detail, this one of its belly underside, full with bloody arteries and dripping blood...

Now that I think about it, no wonder kid-friendly Lego never made it, as it's pretty grisly, ghastly, and bloody...

sigpic

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

I could see LEGO doing the big chap, but then there is the issue of license with 20th century fox. Not sure how the Arvo bros dealt with that.
                        but the chestburster - I was surprised that Funko dealt with that with their retro 3 3/4 line. Not for kids, for sure.

Then again, I just saw building kits for 5 nights at Freddys at the local walmart. Who knows what kids will buy.

This one is standing well so far. The joints are definitely going to be the weak link as they are single pin connectors holding up all that weight. All balanced by 2mm of axel sticking up under each foot; And 2000 bricks is for sure a heavy load.

All in all, tho this is a remarkable build and some serious brick genius for some of the visceral designs.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Agreed, people who design these things are indeed geniuses...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Yeah, you and I gotta figure out a way to secure the big Alien, I don't want it to tip over and have it explode in 2000 pieces...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Invoices of the various sellers that I obtained the bricks from.

This first picture is from BrickLink, page one of four...

BrickOwl...

Partial Alien Xenomorph parts invoice...

Partial Alien Chestburster parts invoice...

I also ordered a few parts off eBay...

Frustrating at times, always tedious, got a bit expensive (shipping alone from so many different sellers kills you)...but in the end, lots of fun...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎