X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

Build-A-Hero Question!

Back in the pre Type S body days, when the mighty David Lee and Cast-A-Way Toys got the ball rolling with the modified swivel arm T2 body, and the Captain Action and Phantom franchises, there were a bunch of Build-A-Hero accessories.

Body suits which matched the design of the Captain Action and Phantom suits, but in one color, and masked heads. I know there were Black, Blue and Red heads (missed out on the Red head, but I have the other two!), but where there any others?

If anyone has any Hero heads and bodysuits they want to part with, please PM me - I'm trying to bolster my Cast-A-Way collection a bit. Also looking for a few of the Cast-A-Way black belts as well, too!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

I recently got two Black Heads, a Black Bodysuit and a Red one, and I have to admit these are really good.
    Wish I had known about them the first time around.

I too would like to get a hold of some of the Hero Heads in different colors. Although Smaller than say Mego Batman, they look great compared to the CTVT Hero heads.

Ebay might be your best bet, but be warned...I'm on there looking as well!
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Timothy2251
      • Mar 15, 2008

eBay was how I got a complete Blue Hero!

For the red bodysuit, does it have stitches along the front similar to where the black & blue meet on Captain Action? I've got black and blue Cast-A-Way suits where the stitch line is there, but I've only seen Cast-A-Way red bodysuits without the stitching. Some have turtleneck collars, some don't.

review_capaction_11.jpg
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• darkbros
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 3, 2012

mine has no stitching, it is like the Mustard Yellow and Green suits I got direct from David Lee in June. Same with Navy Blue one I also picked up from David Lee then. Only the Black one I have has stitching like you describe. I'll keep my eyes posted now on ebay so see what turns up....
        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Timothy2251
          • Mar 15, 2008

Interesting - I have a cobalt blue suit and black suit with the stitching. Maybe those were the only ones like that?

Comment

• David Lee
            The Fix-it-up Chappie
            • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Timothy2251
            Interesting - I have a cobalt blue suit and black suit with the stitching. Maybe those were the only ones like that?
            Sorry I missed this... the original Cotton body suits, stitched in the front -ala CA and the Phantom, were made in white, yellow, light blue, red and black.

Dave

Comment

• Timothy2251
              • Mar 15, 2008

Much thanks for the info, David! Did the Hero Heads come in the same colors (I've only seen Red, Black and Light Blue).

Looks like I've got some hunting around to do!

Comment

• David Lee
                The Fix-it-up Chappie
                • Jun 10, 2002

Much thanks for the info, David! Did the Hero Heads come in the same colors (I've only seen Red, Black and Light Blue).

Looks like I've got some hunting around to do!
                Yikes seems I mis-remembered! no white heads... but we did offer gray bodysuits. Sorry about that... way to go WayBack Machine!
                Last edited by David Lee; Aug 10, '17, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                  • Mar 15, 2008

It's all good, sir!

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

I really liked the Build-A-Hero concept, as much as I enjoy be able to buy all the characters being produced in Mego form now, I've long thought that custom figure building kits are an idea that could be quite popular if any company really went all out with a thoroughly planned out line. There are lots of custom parts available out there for us hardcore customizers, but to hook the general toy consumers would take a really well rounded and package kit.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                      • Mar 15, 2008

Dr. Mego/EMCE were on the right track with their Create Your Own Zombie set. I was hoping for more kits like that for other genres, but, alas, never happened.

What I loved about the Cast-A-Way Build-A-Hero items was they easily tied into their Captain Action and Phantom lines. The bodysuits matched the franchised figures, which gave them this sense of belonging to both lines. The Build-A-Heroes could serve double duty as henchmen for villains, sidekicks for the heroes, or pretty much anything you could imagine. I kind of got a Superargo/Argoman/European Superhero vibe off of them myself.

Only thing that seemed a missed opportunity was a line of female Build-A-Heros (Heroines?). The ZICA Yvonne body would've been a given for that line.

Comment

• David Lee
                        The Fix-it-up Chappie
                        • Jun 10, 2002

Dr. Mego/EMCE were on the right track with their Create Your Own Zombie set. I was hoping for more kits like that for other genres, but, alas, never happened.

What I loved about the Cast-A-Way Build-A-Hero items was they easily tied into their Captain Action and Phantom lines. The bodysuits matched the franchised figures, which gave them this sense of belonging to both lines. The Build-A-Heroes could serve double duty as henchmen for villains, sidekicks for the heroes, or pretty much anything you could imagine. I kind of got a Superargo/Argoman/European Superhero vibe off of them myself.

Only thing that seemed a missed opportunity was a line of female Build-A-Heros (Heroines?). The ZICA Yvonne body would've been a given for that line.
                        You are right on! We sold the crap out of those to be honest. The concept was solid.... we were jut ahead of our time, it seems like that was a running theme with us. If our molds had not been stolen we could have continued that for a long time. It's the execution that make it work, Jason and I loved customizing and that translated into products that worked. It's what we wanted, so it stands to reason others would want the same thing. i think it's where the other company's fail... they think like mass producing toy companies, not like customizers who want to make figures that fit with their mass produced ones. We loved doing it, I think that's the bottom line.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                          • Mar 15, 2008

Since you're now the proud owners of Action Jackson and have put out some product, think there might be a chance of doing a tie-in Build-A-Hero 2.0 line? Updated heads, costumes, etc.?

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Not to be "Nana-Nana-Boo-Boo", but more in line with the lament of this thread....I am glad I stocked up on these items when they were available. It was ( is ) top-notch!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Makernaut
                              ...I am glad I stocked up on these items when they were available. It was ( is ) top-notch!
                              Yes, I really regret not nabbing some of those Hero heads .
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 13, '17, 8:24 PM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎