Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976 Marvel Lunchbox variant (Spiderman graphic)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

1976 Marvel Lunchbox variant (Spiderman graphic)

never seen this before. The buyer got a great deal, I would have hit the button if I saw it in time.

s-l1600.jpg
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

This is insane...I've been looking at this for ten minutes, thinking it's gotta be a fake, but it's not.

I have never ever seen this before, even in the lunch box books. The embossing is even different on that side...it's true 3-D with rounded shapes, whereas the reverse side everything is raised, but flat.

I wonder if it's a prototype, or a one of a kind? My mind is blown either way. What an unbelievable discovery. This is like finding out MEGO made a WGSH figure no one ever knew about!

This doesn't even turn up in a Google image search...I'm absolutely floored.
    Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 5, '17, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

The style of the artwork on the Spider-Man side is different also...this is driving me crazy.

I just cannot believe this exists!

The Thermos is bugging me too...the cup should be black, same as the rim and handle. It is on the standard version.

Thanks Mr. Marion for posting this!
      Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 5, '17, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I don't know why I never collected lunch boxes. I love these so much. So cool.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I used to collect lunchboxes and never seen this one before

It's possible it's Canadian

Toward the end of the 70's most Canadian variants were plastic but since this was made in 76 who knows.

Around the same time is when Canada came out with the Canadian variant Bionic Woman lunch box with Maple Leaf flag replacing the Stars and Stripes in the classroom

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

What a great piece. Looks like Spidey is swinging off a rope instead of web.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Allie Fox
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 1, 2009

Is it possible that the lid and thermos are from an Amazing Spider-Man box and put together?
              It seems weird that one side says Marvel Super Heroes and the other is Spider-Man specific.
              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I wonder if it was an attempt to capitalize on the live action TV show by focusing more on Spidey?

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

I have some suspicions about that thermos. It does not look like a mid-70's thermos.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5331385...iABEgJkU_D_BwE

I don't know how to explain the lid, but something seems off. Go look at any Aladdin lunch box you might have on hand and you can see the negative of the raised parts of the lid when you look on the reverse side of the lid. You know, the part with the "Safety First" bit from the Safety Council. The pics of the inside of this lid, the part with Spidey on the reverse, is smooth as all get out and the front is bumped out to no end. Just seems weird to me from the pictures and given the fact that no one has ever seen one of these. I'm no expert but it just does not add up given the fact that I really believe that thermos to be from the mid-90s and the lid just has a bad feel to it. The colors on Spidey are too bright compared to the rest of the box and Spidey looks a little off model for Aladdin.
                  Last edited by Makernaut; Aug 6, '17, 6:34 PM.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                    Superman's Pal
                    • Jun 17, 2005

I wonder if it's some kind of fantasy piece or prototype. Two things that are weird about it: Look at the last two pictures of the inside of the lunch box. The embossing doesn't show through. That and the artwork on the Spider-man side isn't as skilled. It also looks like the art was done at the same size it was reproduced.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, this seems off. It may be some kind of mock-up from Aladdin, which would account for the kind of crude and different artwork. If it's real...the buyer got on HECK of a deal!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

^ I'd lean toward fantasy piece because that thermos is from the mid-1990s or at least NOT from the mid-1970s.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5331385...iABEgJkU_D_BwE

Here's a listing with that same thermos alongside a 1994 plastic lunchbox.
                        Last edited by Makernaut; Aug 6, '17, 7:23 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

The black paint on the border of the lid is a different black than the rest of the lunchbox. The front looks like it might be some sort of 3d sticker maybe.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

The colors remind me of Mexican bootleg stuff. I'm not sure why...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

The off-set color printing looks like cheap stickers. And the black outlines in the logo are blurry.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎