Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to paint old black AJ short boots?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

Best way to paint old black AJ short boots?

Hey, crew.

Just picked up a bunch of old Action Jackson gear, including a few black short boots. I need a few white AJ short boots for a project, so I'm wondering what the best paint is to use on these? Vinyl paint? Krylon Fusion? Anyone? Beuller?

OR if anyone has any white AJ short boots in great, unsplit condition (Repros are most welcome, too!) and wants to trade/sell, PM me!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Timothy2251
    Hey, crew.

Just picked up a bunch of old Action Jackson gear, including a few black short boots. I need a few white AJ short boots for a project, so I'm wondering what the best paint is to use on these? Vinyl paint? Krylon Fusion? Anyone? Beuller?

OR if anyone has any white AJ short boots in great, unsplit condition (Repros are most welcome, too!) and wants to trade/sell, PM me!
    I would recommend vinyl paint. But how many pairs do you need? Vinyl paint aint cheap, and it will be hard to get the black to cover I think.

Comment

• darkbros
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 3, 2012

I've painted AJ short boots with good ol' AppleBarrel acrylic paints from wal-mart and then sealed with Spray sealer afterwards.
      It does take a few coats to get the color "right" but for display purposes it isn't bad. Now depending upon how you store them
      will determine how they hold up. I've got some on customs that I pulled out of storage ( just stored in boxes, with no wrapping loose) and they have minor chips/ cracks I have to retouch up. But others that were stored in Sterlite's with the lids snapped shut held up really well. just my 02¢
      Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
      https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I have a nice white pair you can have for the cost of shipping, but the soles are mismatched: one is smooth, the other ridged. (Similar to GI Joe boot variations.)

Personally, not a fan of painted boots.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Thanks, everyone!

PNGwynne, PM the cost and I'll PayPal you the cost!

EMCE Hammer, I was also thinking about vinyl paint. I do have other things that could use a coat of vinyl paint here, so the cost of a can might be worth the investment.

Darkbros, good to know about the Sterlite storage not damaging the acrylic, as I have a bunch of those containers myself.

I also have 2 pairs of the Cast-a-way Type S military boots that are going to get the white paint treatment - I'm kitbashing some modern Type S Action Jacksons, and AJs usually rocked white boots, so...
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎