Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple things you miss about summers....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

Going to 7-11 to get comics and especially the TABLOID SIZE ones and all the MARVEL ANNUALS!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
      Going to 7-11 to get comics and especially the TABLOID SIZE ones and all the MARVEL ANNUALS!!
      And Slurpee superhero comic cups!

Comment

• megomania
        Persistent Member
        • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
        And penny candy....jolly ranchers, bottle caps, bazooka gum, licorice...just not the same anymore.

-Chris

Comment

• BrianUtley
          • Aug 1, 2017

Hi..
          Every year in my summer vacation I mostly used to visit Montgomery, There I always get the opportunity of participating Events In Alabama,In my every visit I found many Fun Things To Do In Alabama like shopping, museums, sports and much more but from last two years due to my busy schedule I am not able to visit there..So I miss all that fun in summers.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Welcome to the museum!
            Originally posted by BrianUtley
            Hi..
            Every year in my summer vacation I mostly used to visit Montgomery, There I always get the opportunity of participating Events In Alabama,In my every visit I found many Fun Things To Do In Alabama like shopping, museums, sports and much more but from last two years due to my busy schedule I am not able to visit there..So I miss all that fun in summers.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

---------Edited to add this reply has absolutely nothing to do with current Confederate monument memorials and protests .... If it was up to me they would all be resculpted into Star Wars characters :>)

With the above said --------------

I miss going to Gettysburg National Tower.

As a kid we used to visit it every year.

We used to have races who can run up the steps to the top the fastest... I never won

Then the good ole USA literally -- BLEW IT UP

This video describes my childhood
              Last edited by Mikey; Aug 18, '17, 2:17 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

I lived in a very rural area, closest movie theater or city pool was 10+ miles away, which is a long trip on a Huffy.

My list....

Riding my bike, mini-bike and moped. All of the kids had something with two wheels, one friend had a three wheeled very old golf cart and we rode the crap out of it as well.
                Playing tag, flash light or standard
                Playing war, (we'd come up with our own wooden guns and kill each of the neighbor kids practically daily I think)
                Baseball, basketball, football... frisbee..
                Whiffle ball, We had an awesome whiffle ball field not far away in a friends backyard and played on it a ton. Think of a smaller version of the Sandlot field and that was it.
                Building models, airplanes, ships etc... Never had time during the school year to build those.
                Waiting for a good summer rain to come fill up the ditches in the neighborhood. I'd take my finished model ships out there and shoot them with BB guns until they would sink.
                Those same ditches were a godsend for all of us that had nets or buckets with holes in them. We'd catch all sorts of frogs, and tadpoles and crawdads out of there.
                We'd all ride our bikes to the local store, buy a soda and then ride to the viaduct(which is a small bridge over railroad tracks) and throw our empty soda cans into the top of the coal trains as they passed under us.
                One year we decided to finally build that one good tree house. Found the tree in the neighborhood and it was in a field no one really knew who owned it. That didn't matter, so we gathered all of the spare wood and nails we could find and went to work. It ended up being much higher than expected and was a lengthy climb, and didn't have a roof, but we did spend a lot of time up there.
                Flying kites! Kite wars were awesome!
                Estes Flying Model Rockets. We built a ton of those over the years and never got hurt

I think I'm done typing... I'm sitting at work now and someone must be cutting onions or something...
                Last edited by drquest; Aug 18, '17, 10:16 PM.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I miss the smell of burning charcoal and lighter fluid. Growing up it seemed that every weekend if my family wasn't grilling food one or more of the neighbors was. Sometimes it occurred during the week but mainly on the weekends. I strongly associate those smells with summer more so than the aromas of the food being grilled.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I miss having all summer off. not having to worry about adult stuff and just having the whole summer to do whatever I wanted

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

I think the biggest thing I miss about summers as a kid...well being a kid period is being able to really PLAY.

I used to run around the backyard with a large stick pretending to be Luke Skywalker with my lightsaber, or running in slow motion making bionic sound effects. I pretended to be Captain America, using my disc sled for a shield. I even used to sit and play my mom's Wurlitzer organ, pretending to be the Phantom of the Opera. Such fun times.

You really can't do any of those things as an adult, (at least not in your back yard) or they'll haul you away to the looney bin. I guess that's why cosplay at conventions has become so popular. It's the one setting where you can still pretend.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎