Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple things you miss about summers....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Simple things you miss about summers....

Every year around this time I always reminice about summers as a kid. Here are some things I miss...
    -Going to my grandparents on the weekend
    -Going to our swim club which I spent pretty much all summer at from the years 77-89
    -Waiting to take our family vacation in Ocean City, Maryland
    -Catching lightningbugs in the early evening (where I live now I never see any)
    -Going to the movies back then. Seems everything I saw back then became a classic and even the B movies were exciting to see.
    -Our Ice Cream man going through our neighborhood at 630 pm sharp and not only getting candy but movie and sports cards as well (still have them may not be worth alot but the sendimental value is priceless)
    -watching the Price is Right in the mornings as well as other game shows
    -Riding my Bike though the neighboorhoods where I lived ...
    And many more.
    What are some of yours?...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Seeing the girls in their sundresses

Even today, my favorite women's wear is a sundress

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I moved to a new neighborhood in 4th Grade and I was so lucky that it was full of a bunch of other middle schoolers and junior high kids. There was always something going on every single day, all summer long.

bike riding (usually as a group ) to the swimming pool, library, Dairy Queen, quick stop to get comics or sports cards...always riding our bikes somewhere. One time, a group of us got up early in the morning to ride down to the fairgrounds to watch them set up a circus tent.

lots of sandlot baseball and pickup basketball

"camping out" in someone's backyard

lots of movies at the theater. Small town that had a great one screen theater and lots of 50 cent matinee movies for kids in the summer. Saw a lot of the Disney live-action stuff at that theater.

Boy Scout summer camp every year from 5th grade on. Back in the days when more kids did Scouting of some sort than didn't. We had a great Troop that was very active and lots of fun. Eventually got to do the High Adventure stuff like Philmont and Sea Base. Worked a summer in high school as an archery instructor at summer camp along with my two closest friends. Best summer job ever.

I feel pretty lucky to have been where I was during that time of my life because I was never bored in the summer, that's for sure.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 12, 2004

I miss everything about the summers of my youth.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

i lived fairly rural and my parents would unplug and roll the tv into a corner every summer. You ended up swimming in creeks and doing weird stuff like breaking into abandoned houses, it was the wild west.

Sure we ended up in the emergency room, i knocked a kid's front teeth out and i can't tell you how many scars i got but i enjoyed myself.

I think part of the reason that i didn't give my kids that summer is i was in my mid 30s when i had kids, my parents were just out of high school and neither of them graduated.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

my growing up years were much like yours Brian, creek swimming, rope swings into the creek, high jumps out of trees. yes, it was dangerous but we all survived unscathed(mostly). BMX bike riding was a given at that age. my father worked in NYC and did not get home until 7:30-8:00 and my mom just had no clue where we were. Good times! and yes, I am way stricter with my kids, LOL

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Just a few of the fun activities from youthful summers:

-building tree houses
              -playing baseball at the corner lot
              -riding bikes
              -hide and seek after dark with flashlights
              -sitting under a shady tree reading comic books
              -walking to the library and browsing the books
              -season pass at the swimming pool
              -skateboarding

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

I miss seeing parents outside playing with their kids instead of on their phones updating Facebook. Seriously.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Ice-cream trucks
                  Day camp (and 1 summer camp for 2 weeks)
                  The big block party on my street in NYC at the end of the summer
                  The Disney Summer Hit Parade (one movie theatre in NYC would show Disney films all summer long!)
                  Italian Icees
                  Playing outside at night when someone's parents were on the stoop watching you while they talked.

And when I was 14, the best summer of my life was spent in So Ca. when I went to see my dad. I rode my bike, went swimming in the condo village pools, ate Thrifty's ice-cream, watched TV (cool 70s reruns like Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels and Kung Fu) went to the beach, hung out w/ the neighborhood kids, and even had a "summer love". Best summer ever!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• TomStrong
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2011

Riding my bike
                    Playing outside until the security light came on
                    Spending the night with my grandparents. They lived on the lake AND had satellite tv! We only had antenna in rural northwest Alabama. Swimming and fishing all day long was the best.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by warlock664
                      Just a few of the fun activities from youthful summers:

-building tree houses
                      -playing baseball at the corner lot
                      -riding bikes
                      -hide and seek after dark with flashlights
                      -sitting under a shady tree reading comic books
                      -walking to the library and browsing the books
                      -season pass at the swimming pool
                      -skateboarding
                      Take out the skateboarding and my list is a lot like yours. Add flea markets with with my grandparents, and walking to a local market after church to buy coverless comics for pennies. We had one tree fort that we kept going for years.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

At night, putting glow sticks on string and swinging them around

----Didn't take much to entertain me

Also, flying my inflatable Puffer Kite.

That thing would fly crazy high --- one time I had it higher than a passing airplane (small Piper)

Used like 3 rolls of string tied together

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Pool hopping, when you run around your neighborhood late at night and jump in other people's swimming pools, yell scream and splash around until the house lights come on.

Calling a taxi to a neighbor you don't like then hide and watch.

Ring people's doorbells at night and run, hide and watch them open the door.

Taking your tv remote and go to other people's houses at night and put the remote up to the window
                          and turn there TV sets on or off depending, it really did work.

Running around the local hotel causing mischief and turning over the do not disturb signs asking for the hotel room
                          to be cleaned, at the time when the cleaning people had room keys, before the door cards.

Comment

• warlock664
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                            Pool hopping, when you run around your neighborhood late at night and jump in other people's swimming pools, yell scream and splash around until the house lights come on.

Calling a taxi to a neighbor you don't like then hide and watch.

Ring people's doorbells at night and run, hide and watch them open the door.

Taking your tv remote and go to other people's houses at night and put the remote up to the window
                            and turn there TV sets on or off depending, it really did work.

Running around the local hotel causing mischief and turning over the do not disturb signs asking for the hotel room
                            to be cleaned, at the time when the cleaning people had room keys, before the door cards.
                            Wow, seems like you were quite the hooligan !

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I miss the color of blue the sky used to be!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎