Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shazam History & Future

Images
    I can't wait for the next one. I ready my kids each issue of the Jeff Smith one before bedtime when they were young. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed it.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Blog Entries
    I thought the Roy Thomas/Phil Mandrake series was one of the best post Crisis launches DC had. I never understood why it didn't take off.

Images
    ^I hated the art on that book. Power of Shazam on the other hand...
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; Tin Man YBR box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 brown body; POTA knife; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    ^I hated the art on that book. Power of Shazam on the other hand...
    Yeah it was a little cruder than it needed to be. I've read that Mandrake was never going to be the ongoing artist in the planned series that fizzled.

Images
    Well, it was jarring, after Newton's efforts earlier. I was fully prepared to support Thomas because I loved All-Star Squadron, but I didn't enjoy the book.

Mandrake seemed too gritty to me, like a fill-in Batman artist. But I do have a run of it, maybe I should haul them out for a re-read.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 13, '17 at 3:26 PM.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; Tin Man YBR box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 brown body; POTA knife; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Anyone know what DC's plans are for the Marvels with Rebirth? Cap had been treated so badly after Power of Shazam, I just gave up--though I did read the kid-friendly titles.

But Doc Shaner's Convergence was lovely.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 13, '17 at 3:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    To me, the story out shined the art which yeah, tonally it was all wrong. Thomas got it right, he updated the character, adding some fun things that i still enjoy but tried to keep it's spirit. I love that he mentioned that he was a fan of the Bridwell/Newton run.

Ordway's initial book was awesome, he lost me in the ongoing series by rushing the whole thing back to "Fawcettville" too soon for my tastes.

Images
    My podcasting friend Siskoid and I covered the Marvels appearance on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and I pleaded my case why Cartoon Network should give the classic Marvels a TV show already! Lots of discussion of the characters' history to boot.

http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/fwteamup6/

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif