Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Roddenberry films/pilots are worth watching?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Which Roddenberry films/pilots are worth watching?

The time between TOS and TMP

Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971)
    Genesis II (1973)
    Planet Earth (1974)
    The Questor Tapes (1974)
    Strange New World (1975)
    Spectre (1977)

if I had to spit ball I'd say Genesis II and Planet Earth are the good ones, since you really have to dig to get some of the others.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Planet Earth was cool if you're into dominatrix stuff.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I know people lump Strange New World in that pile because it features some of Roddenberry's names and the same star but he really had nothing to do with it.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
        I know people lump Strange New World in that pile because it features some of Roddenberry's names and the same star but he really had nothing to do with it.
        Wikipedia paints with a broad brush at times so I don't doubt that. Of the lot Strange New World and Spectre are the ones I wouldn't look forward to sitting through.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

It's a bit slow, I find Planet Earth is the "Porridge is just right" of the three. Genesis 2 has all the trappings of a good show but Alex Cord doesn't work as the lead.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

Questor Tapes is cool, and watching it you really do wonder what kind of show it could have been.

Genesis II
            and Planet Earth are essentially the same show, like when you watch a pilot movie and then when it goes to series it has some different leads playing some of the main characters, Genesis II the pilot movie and Planet Earth the revised-concept first episode. I enjoy both, but I'll speak heresy and say I like Genesis II more -- it just has a different feel, while Planet Earth feels much more like a Star Trek where they travel to strange lands rather than new worlds. John Saxon has a Kirk vibe to his Dylan Hunt and the team dynamic feels like a ST Away Team. Alex Cord is more the outsider and stranger to the new time in Genesis II and the direction doesn't feel as set, which I like. As a kid, I'd have loved either show, and it's a shame the powers that be decided there was no room for Planet Earth and Planet of the Apes on the schedule that season.

Spectre is almost The X-Files meets Supernatural in the 70s, and seeing those shows today, you again wonder what kind of a series or success it might have made.

Strange New World is, as Palitoy mentioned not really Roddenberry, just picking up the loose concepts of the Dylan Hunt pilots and running them with all-new characters in a pared-down cast, adding a Landmaster/Ark II -style vehicle to the mix. Of all, it seems the most derivative. But OK for a rainy afternoon.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I have to admit, they are all pretty hard to sit through.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I have to admit, they are all pretty hard to sit through.
                Pretty maids in a row was unique and entertaining. A cult film in every sense of the word.

Comment

• Boris71
                  GeekBot' For Life
                  • May 13, 2007

I liked spectre and questor tapes, but I think the Dylan hunt ones lost a lot after John Saxon took over
                  Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎