X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Pimento cheese?

A question for our Southern--and other--members: Any secret recipes for pimento cheese spread? I've made it three times, three different ways, and am curious what others think.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Love it.

16 oz shredded cheddar
    8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz pimentos (drained)
    4 oz Velveeta
    1/2 cup mayo
    Dash of hot sauce
    Last edited by GlobalObserver; Aug 1, '17, 6:04 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I liked best the latest batch I made, it's close to yours GO:

8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
      4 oz cream cheese
      4 oz drained pimento
      1/2 cup mayonnaise
      some various dry seasonings

It seems there's some debate about including cream cheese--I may try the next batch without. Lots of opinions about what mayo to use. And some recipes include fresh minced or grated onion.

It's very addictive lol. Nobody seems to recommend buying it pre-made.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 31, '17, 6:27 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Go to Publix and buy it. That's my wife's recipe
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not sure exactly how my Mom made it, but since she passed I've never had pimento cheese that equals hers.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I guess I didn't know that one could make their own pimento cheese. Shows you how much I know about pimento cheese.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

Tangentially related --- my grandmother used to make this spread that I still sometimes crave:
              • Stick o' butter, softened
              • Square o' cream cheese, softened
              • A bunch of freshly minced green onion
              • Paprika enough to change the color of the mixture to a pleasing, rusty orange

Cream together all of the above until it's smooth and consistent and then chill the heck out of it.

For maximum me-in-the-seventies joy, spread it on fresh, seeded rye.
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^I'm on a smoked paprika kick, I may try that.

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

^^^ Extra tasty if you add in some chopped capers.
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Duncan
                    Museum focus-groupie
                    • Jun 27, 2009

I'm partial to vending machine sandwiches - particularly from the Wheel of Death. Back around 2002 my office had a WoD that stocked pimento cheese sandwiches. I'd never heard of such a thing, and lacked the intestinal fortitude to give it a try. I now regret that.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

So I've made a new batch for Memorial Day--you should always make it ahead. And I couldn't find pimentos and didn't want to hit another market. Luckily, the deli had whole pickled cherry peppers (the same as pimento) and I minced them. Seems great but admittedly more $$$.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '18, 8:42 AM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

^ Sounds great!

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Obibob
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jul 27, 2007

Regardless of the recipe ALWAYS grate your own cheese (preferably a nice medium cheddar) instead of buying the pre-shredded cheese in the bags. The pre-shredded stuff is treated so that it doesn’t stick/clump together, thus it doesn’t mix well together with the other ingredients. Therefore, it never comes out tasting right. Trust me on this one!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

^Absolutely, I read the same thing in the first online recipe I made. Plus, I like certain cheeses that are not pre-shredded; I usually use a sharp or very sharp cheddar. It's also good to mix for a while--say, 3 minutes--to blend it really well, and then fold in the pimentos.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '18, 7:51 PM.

Comment

• glimpy
                              Loco Chango
                              • Feb 5, 2012

Kind of curious what is it? Is it a cheese spread or something? What does it taste like?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎