X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Mystery Toy

I came across this old picture today while I was looking for another. Spotted some familiar toys: Mickey on the TV, Johnny West on the dresser and the G.I. Joe Helicopter behind the bed. But then I saw that weird thing under the TV and couldn't make out what it was. The round piece kind of looks like Qonto from Message from Space, but I never had that robot.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • justzeg18
    Career Member
    • May 5, 2003

looks like a funky lamp.

Comment

• justzeg18
      Career Member
      • May 5, 2003

Something along these lines... https://www.etsy.com/listing/5049364...=sr_gallery_22

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Is it one of those pull along animal toys?

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I'm thinking of somekinda robot laying down

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

What's the red figure toy on the tv next to Mickey Mouse?

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by justzeg18
              looks like a funky lamp.
              You're right about it being a lamp, and after a quick investigation it does indeed appear to be the classic Siamese cats that you linked above. The side view makes it difficult to immediately recognize.

J.B., If you look closely, you can see the corded light bulb on the back. Ceramic TV lamps were a "must have" in Mid-Century America and while most were animals, some others were in the shape of ships, shells, cars, florals, covered wagons, etc.

Most TV lamps were made from the mid 50s thru early 60s, and were manufactured by California pottery companies. The half baked theory at the time was that a back lit object placed on top of the TV made it easier on the eyes while viewing.
              Last edited by Dark Shadow; Aug 1, '17, 12:08 AM. Reason: Corrected first sentence.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                What's the red figure toy on the tv next to Mickey Mouse?
                Think it was a wax version of Mickey.

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                  You're right about it being a lamp, and after a quick investigation it does indeed appear to be the classic Siamese cats that you linked above. The side view makes it difficult to immediately recognize.

J.B., If you look closely, you can see the corded light bulb on the back. Ceramic TV lamps were a "must have" in Mid-Century America and while most were animals, some others were in the shape of ships, shells, cars, florals, covered wagons, etc.

Most TV lamps were made from the mid 50s thru early 60s, and were manufactured by California pottery companies. The half baked theory at the time was that a back lit object placed on top of the TV made it easier on the eyes while viewing.
                  You two may be right about it being a lamp. I see a cord and what appears to be a bulb, but didn't the Siamese Cat Lamps have this type of bulb?:

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                    Creature Of The Night
                    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by J.B.
                    You two may be right about it being a lamp. I see a cord and what appears to be a bulb, but didn't the Siamese Cat Lamps have this type of bulb?:

I don't know if they came with bulbs. Ours had a small round white appliance type bulb in it when I got custody of it, but I have no idea if it was original or not. I don't remember ever seeing the lamp lit up as a kid, was mostly just for decoration. For what it's worth, the example pic you posted above is the same type of bulb that we used in our aquarium in the late 60s. I remember that because I burned my arm on it when I was trying to catch one of our turtles.

Any idea what year your OP picture was taken?

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                      Any idea what year your OP picture was taken?
                      Probably 1975.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                        Creature Of The Night
                        • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by J.B.
                        Probably 1975.
                        If these did originally come with a bulb, 1958 to 1975 is a long time for one to survive. I found two pics, one that shows the backside with a regular bulb and one that shows the paint pattern that some of these had for the "lounging" cat's tail/back (on lamp's left side), which is very similar to the paint pattern from your OP pic. Also, note in the top pic that the switch/socket enclave also seems to be a match to your pic.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎