Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Toy

Mystery Toy

I came across this old picture today while I was looking for another. Spotted some familiar toys: Mickey on the TV, Johnny West on the dresser and the G.I. Joe Helicopter behind the bed. But then I saw that weird thing under the TV and couldn't make out what it was. The round piece kind of looks like Qonto from Message from Space, but I never had that robot.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

looks like a funky lamp.

Images
    Is it one of those pull along animal toys?

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    I'm thinking of somekinda robot laying down
    .................................................. .......................

What's the red figure toy on the tv next to Mickey Mouse?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justzeg18 View Post
    looks like a funky lamp.
    You're right about it being a lamp, and after a quick investigation it does indeed appear to be the classic Siamese cats that you linked above. The side view makes it difficult to immediately recognize.

J.B., If you look closely, you can see the corded light bulb on the back. Ceramic TV lamps were a "must have" in Mid-Century America and while most were animals, some others were in the shape of ships, shells, cars, florals, covered wagons, etc.

Most TV lamps were made from the mid 50s thru early 60s, and were manufactured by California pottery companies. The half baked theory at the time was that a back lit object placed on top of the TV made it easier on the eyes while viewing.
    Last edited by Dark Shadow; Aug 1, '17 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Corrected first sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    What's the red figure toy on the tv next to Mickey Mouse?
    Think it was a wax version of Mickey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    You're right about it being a lamp, and after a quick investigation it does indeed appear to be the classic Siamese cats that you linked above. The side view makes it difficult to immediately recognize.

J.B., If you look closely, you can see the corded light bulb on the back. Ceramic TV lamps were a "must have" in Mid-Century America and while most were animals, some others were in the shape of ships, shells, cars, florals, covered wagons, etc.

Most TV lamps were made from the mid 50s thru early 60s, and were manufactured by California pottery companies. The half baked theory at the time was that a back lit object placed on top of the TV made it easier on the eyes while viewing.
    You two may be right about it being a lamp. I see a cord and what appears to be a bulb, but didn't the Siamese Cat Lamps have this type of bulb?:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
    You two may be right about it being a lamp. I see a cord and what appears to be a bulb, but didn't the Siamese Cat Lamps have this type of bulb?:

I don't know if they came with bulbs. Ours had a small round white appliance type bulb in it when I got custody of it, but I have no idea if it was original or not. I don't remember ever seeing the lamp lit up as a kid, was mostly just for decoration. For what it's worth, the example pic you posted above is the same type of bulb that we used in our aquarium in the late 60s. I remember that because I burned my arm on it when I was trying to catch one of our turtles.

Any idea what year your OP picture was taken?