X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Dunkirk

Spectacular movie...Christopher Nolan's best movie in my opinion...and one of the best WWII flicks I've ever seen.

You HAVE to see it on IMAX. No, not that annoying 3D screen, I'm talking straight up, no-glasses, IMAX screen.

Told from three perspectives—the land, sea, and air. Contains little dialogue.

Not your traditional standard film, very unique...

This should easily be nominated come Oscars time.

Great film...
    sigpic
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

it looks good. I want to go see it

Comment

• Allie Fox
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 1, 2009

How is it for the younger set. My (almost) 13 year old is very eager to see it. Ever since Captain America: The First Avenger he has been a sponge for all things WWII. He has seen Saving Private Ryan a couple times and keeps his tv tuned in to the American Heroes Channel. I'm sure this is an "R" but I'm not sure just how "R" it is!?!?
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

World War II buff, so I'll be seeing this, previews look really good.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Allie Fox
          How is it for the younger set. My (almost) 13 year old is very eager to see it. Ever since Captain America: The First Avenger he has been a sponge for all things WWII. He has seen Saving Private Ryan a couple times and keeps his tv tuned in to the American Heroes Channel. I'm sure this is an "R" but I'm not sure just how "R" it is!?!?
          Surprisingly it's PG-13...so it's nowhere near as bloody as Saving Private Ryan.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Christopher Bolan hates 3D...IMAX is what he loves:

Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema explains how Christopher Nolan's WWII epic was filmed with Imax and 65mm film cameras: "We'd get so close and witness dogfights in the open air."

Nolan speaks out against Netflix and other at-home streaming services as his World War II hit 'Dunkirk' hits theaters in 70mm IMAX film.

Nolan admitted they had tested Inception in 3D. "We did tests on 'Inception' with the different post-conversion processes, and they all went very well," Nolan told the crowd during a Q&A
            sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

Went with my son Friday.What a great little film.He has been looking forward to it for about a year.
              I agree it is probably Nolans best and I think he'll be hard pressed to surpass this in his future.
              Not a lot of dialog but I don't think it's missed at all and seems very natural.
              Pay attention lots to take in!!!
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

The only thing I disagree with you is your great "little" film comment (unless it was missed sarcasm on my part), it's a grand epic film...almost exclusively filmed in 70mm IMAX...most movies are not film with that type of scope...

Maybe because it had zero CGI?

That has been one of the few criticisms Dunkirk has received, Nolan opted to use conventional practical effects, employing thousands of extras, gathering boats that had participated in the real Dunkirk evacuation, and using era-appropriate planes for aerial sequences. But as much as Nolan implemented, he could still not replicate 300,000 troops, and hundreds of boats and planes...that's perhaps why you saw it as a "little" film, and I definitely see what you meant...and in that respect, you are right. But in terms of effort, this film was much harder to produce than just using CGI to create a more grand scope. Maybe Nolan should've embraced CGI for this film, make it much larger...but loved the old school route he took.

But on the rest, yeah, we are on the same page...

sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                  The only thing I disagree with you is your great "little" film comment (unless it was missed sarcasm on my part), it's a grand epic film...almost exclusively filmed in 70mm IMAX...most movies are not film with that type of scope...

Maybe because it had zero CGI?

That has been one of the few criticisms Dunkirk has received, Nolan opted to use conventional practical effects, employing thousands of extras, gathering boats that had participated in the real Dunkirk evacuation, and using era-appropriate planes for aerial sequences. But as much as Nolan implemented, he could still not replicate 300,000 troops, and hundreds of boats and planes...that's perhaps why you saw it as a "little" film, and I definitely see what you meant...and in that respect, you are right. But in terms of effort, this film was much harder to produce than just using CGI to create a more grand scope. Maybe Nolan should've embraced CGI for this film, make it much larger...but loved the old school route he took.

But on the rest, yeah, we are on the same page...

Don't get your bloomers bunched up....lol
                  It was sarcasm as I said Nolans best film and he will be hard pressed to surpass this one in his future!!!
                  Yes ,it was grandiose is that better....lol.
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

I saw it on opening weekend with my son, at a very nice IMAX theater. Excellent visuals and sound. The desperation was intense on the ships as they went down. It felt less intense on the beach, and that was probably on purpose since the Germans weren't exactly shown. I did like the multiple timelines and how they intersected. The vintage Spitfires were awesome, but I do have some issues with the ending, I won't spoil anything here, but most planes won't have that much glide time.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                      If I had a teen kid that was into WWII, I'd take him to see it ASAP no matter what my thoughts on film violence were.

Maybe he'd grow up being a more patient movie-goer/art-lover.

I hated it (as I do most of Nolan's movies).

Slow-paced bland story with little character development, if any. Not that that was the film's goals.

Nolan presents all the Nolan-expected spectacle that should've conjured that visceral thrill of a feel (that most others felt) as far as the wartime tension, but with no interest/connection to the plot, I was left flat and couldn't wait to leave the theatre.

Next time I'll look at the director name before being dragged to see a movie.

but, yeah, its apparently great for war-buffs, history-buffs and (tasteful) movie-buffs of all ages.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

It's certainly a powerful film. I don't like everything Nolan has directed, but Dunkirk is certainly a compelling and evocative movie.
                        I absolutely loved the Spitfire sequences particularly.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Really good film, I enjoyed every second. Very compelling. It successfully takes a huge event and personalizes it without making it seem smaller than it was.

I even liked Tom Hardy in this. He's at his best when he's not actually saying much.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎