• enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Superheroes THEN and NOW

Cool article...

• rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

Things have evolved a bit. George Reeves looks terrible compared to Henry Cavil, but he's still the first Superman. And I'm certain Reeves could have made the mustache work!

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

George Reeves is not the first Superman, that title belongs to Kirk Alyn.
      sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I thought Kirk Alyn did a nice job as both Superman and Clark Kent, I have both of the serials he was in
        and I always enjoy watching those when I can.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^I like Kirk Alyn, but he played it REALLY broad. He knew he was doing kiddie fare. That worked for a serial, a short "get in, get out" mentality. I do think he looked the part more than Reeves, but Reeves brought a nuance and sophistication to the role. You could tell an actor was really thinking through the character, even when the scripts got goofy sometimes, and the show did become lighter and more geared to kids. This was needed to sustain the show across several seasons.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
            George Reeves is not the first Superman, that title belongs to Kirk Alyn.
            Very true, I meant my first Superman. But it's a hard show to watch once the nostalgia wears off. I can only remember finding the hidden box of Twinkies and watching the show after school for so long until I get bored. But once in a while, it's fun.

The Kirk Alyn serial is even harder to watch. It's more of a curiosity, but an important step in appreciating how the character has evolved.

I suppose one could argue that the Fleischer Superman was the first Superman, as it was the first filmed version, but not a live actor. And it was the first filmed version, right? Must have been...
            Last edited by rykerw1701; Jul 26, '17, 7:35 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^They was a lot of rotoscoping on those, so technically, some live action there.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Nostalgia is the whole point of loving stuff, the good and the bad...

I love Hanna Barbera cartoons, and still have fond memories of doing so...but I just can't watch them today and have the same feelings towards them anymore...kinda cringe worthy...same applies to the old Superman serials and TV shows...

Nostalgia is great, memories of pure past enjoyment...it's why this site exists in the first place...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎