Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fav cartoons and TV shows still not on DVD!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbutler69
    • May 5, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Warner/DC needs to release the Filmation Shazam! cartoon!

Hopefully they are just waiting for the right cross-sell, but what about MOD?
    Yeah, that would be awesome.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I really liked the Filmation Shazam cartoon. A pretty faithful adaptation of the classic comics, for the time anyway.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

After watching Tarzan, I was so surprised by what was an obvious 16mm telecine transfer I started digging around to confirm what I thought; Filmation ownership rights were apart of the Classic Media nightmare. I kept thinking WB bought Filmation, but nope.

Basic Primer: Classic Media was an IP blob formed from our collective childhoods. Harveytoons, Gold Key, Filmation, Saperstein Productions, UPA, etc...were glommed into one giant company by the merger/acquisitions of other companies. They then split rights between publishing and media and let licensed properties revert back to the original owners. When I first came to the Museum, I was actually trying to secure a number of rights from them but it fell apart because they couldn't verify what exactly they had licensing rights to! Once they realized what kind of mess they had on their hands, they went into active sell mode and were bought by Dreamworks, who did it simply to get Harveytoons before Disney, even though Disney was distributing Dreamworks! When DW sold to NBCU/Comcast it splintered once more.

So what WHV has done, was get permission from the Burroughs estate and then transferred 16mm from a private collection, (most likely the estates). Otherwise, they would have to pay for access to the masters, (if DW media even has them), which would double the disc costs for a very niche title. Apply this to DC titles, and it should explain quality issues, such as Legends of the Superheroes looking like a Beta transfer; that's what WHV had access to.

It also makes me believe the don't have a Filmation Shazam cartoon source, otherwise they would have released it with the trove of Filmation/HB/Ruby-Spears DC titles a decade ago. I bet this was also part of the long-delay behind the Filmation Adventures of Batman.

Here's the wiki page if you want to eat a bowl of despair.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^WB should have a good copy of Legends of the Super Heroes if it exists (I'm not sure a better one would). Legends was a Hanna-Barbara production, and through Turner, WB has owned them for years.

I have the official DVD, but I think I only watched it once, with my kids. It was still better than my bootleg.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I have a lot of tolerance for Legends, I can't resist seeing the great Howard Morris as Dr. Sivana and Ruth Buzzi as Aunt Minerva.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
              Otherwise, they would have to pay for access to the masters, (if DW media even has them),
              The original Filmation masters don't exist anymore. Hallmark, during their ownership of Filmation, destroyed them after digitally transferring them. To make matters worse they transferred them to standard definition.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^That's so sad. I recall reading elsewhere on the forum of Hallmark's earlier ownership.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

The 66 Lone Ranger cartoon is wonderful. Nobody has mentioned it. No wonder it never made it to DVD.
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    The original Filmation masters don't exist anymore. Hallmark, during their ownership of Filmation, destroyed them after digitally transferring them. To make matters worse they transferred them to standard definition.
                    There should be some form of protection for art.

So much stuff has been destroyed or erased.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

Get a multi-regional player and you can still get these from the UK for really good prices:

Spider-Woman
                      Fantastic 4 (1978)
                      Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (I wanted toys of Firestar and Miss Lion so BAD as a kid)
                      Spider-Man (1981)
                      The Incredible Hulk (1982)

First Season of Spidey and Friends is really great quality. Season2/3 suffers a little as far as overall quality goes.

Comment

• warlock664
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I have a lot of tolerance for Legends, I can't resist seeing the great Howard Morris as Dr. Sivana and Ruth Buzzi as Aunt Minerva.
                        OMG!
                        Ernest T Bass as Dr Sivana? I need to get this!

Comment

• smgraf
                          • Oct 8, 2016

Top of my list would be the Beatles cartoon.

1 Beatles
                          2 Fantastic Four (60s Hanna Barbera)
                          3 King Kong (60s)
                          4 Lone Ranger (60s)
                          5 Shazam (70s)

I'd also love to see the rest of the Sid & Marty Kroftt shows.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎