Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fav cartoons and TV shows still not on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    Warner/DC needs to release the Filmation Shazam! cartoon!

Hopefully they are just waiting for the right cross-sell, but what about MOD?
    Yeah, that would be awesome.

Images
    ^Yeah, I really liked the Filmation Shazam cartoon. A pretty faithful adaptation of the classic comics, for the time anyway.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    After watching Tarzan, I was so surprised by what was an obvious 16mm telecine transfer I started digging around to confirm what I thought; Filmation ownership rights were apart of the Classic Media nightmare. I kept thinking WB bought Filmation, but nope.

Basic Primer: Classic Media was an IP blob formed from our collective childhoods. Harveytoons, Gold Key, Filmation, Saperstein Productions, UPA, etc...were glommed into one giant company by the merger/acquisitions of other companies. They then split rights between publishing and media and let licensed properties revert back to the original owners. When I first came to the Museum, I was actually trying to secure a number of rights from them but it fell apart because they couldn't verify what exactly they had licensing rights to! Once they realized what kind of mess they had on their hands, they went into active sell mode and were bought by Dreamworks, who did it simply to get Harveytoons before Disney, even though Disney was distributing Dreamworks! When DW sold to NBCU/Comcast it splintered once more.

So what WHV has done, was get permission from the Burroughs estate and then transferred 16mm from a private collection, (most likely the estates). Otherwise, they would have to pay for access to the masters, (if DW media even has them), which would double the disc costs for a very niche title. Apply this to DC titles, and it should explain quality issues, such as Legends of the Superheroes looking like a Beta transfer; that's what WHV had access to.

It also makes me believe the don't have a Filmation Shazam cartoon source, otherwise they would have released it with the trove of Filmation/HB/Ruby-Spears DC titles a decade ago. I bet this was also part of the long-delay behind the Filmation Adventures of Batman.

Here's the wiki page if you want to eat a bowl of despair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks_Classics

Images
    ^WB should have a good copy of Legends of the Super Heroes if it exists (I'm not sure a better one would). Legends was a Hanna-Barbara production, and through Turner, WB has owned them for years.

I have the official DVD, but I think I only watched it once, with my kids. It was still better than my bootleg.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    I have a lot of tolerance for Legends, I can't resist seeing the great Howard Morris as Dr. Sivana and Ruth Buzzi as Aunt Minerva.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-swords; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrap View Post
    Otherwise, they would have to pay for access to the masters, (if DW media even has them),
    The original Filmation masters don't exist anymore. Hallmark, during their ownership of Filmation, destroyed them after digitally transferring them. To make matters worse they transferred them to standard definition.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    ^That's so sad. I recall reading elsewhere on the forum of Hallmark's earlier ownership.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-swords; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

The 66 Lone Ranger cartoon is wonderful. Nobody has mentioned it. No wonder it never made it to DVD.
    If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The original Filmation masters don't exist anymore. Hallmark, during their ownership of Filmation, destroyed them after digitally transferring them. To make matters worse they transferred them to standard definition.
    There should be some form of protection for art.

So much stuff has been destroyed or erased.

Images
    Get a multi-regional player and you can still get these from the UK for really good prices:

Spider-Woman
    Fantastic 4 (1978)
    Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (I wanted toys of Firestar and Miss Lion so BAD as a kid)
    Spider-Man (1981)
    The Incredible Hulk (1982)

First Season of Spidey and Friends is really great quality. Season2/3 suffers a little as far as overall quality goes.
    "When not too many people can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears,
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
    By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
    Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk