Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I miss covers like THIS! My word is that beautiful...those colors!

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_145.jpg

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
      I miss covers like THIS! My word is that beautiful...those colors!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21169[/ATTACH]
      Yep, that's a beaut, Dwayne!! I believe penciled by Gil Kane with the classic Romita inks lending it it's signature Spider-Man flair. The "old school" artists knew human anatomy and physiology and, while exaggerating it a little for the sake of comics, they knew the limitations of how the human body could bend and flex and kept everything in proportion. Today's artists, with a few minor exceptions, hide what they don't know under veils of flashy digital coloring and effects. Give me old school any day of the week!
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Well, DC had a Batman 66 comic that was old school and it has been cancelled presumably due to sales.
        It's hard to market something to somebody who hasn't bought a comic in years. Those who would appreciate the series didn't know it existed. I'd like to see newsprint comics with no computer colors or art. I HATE gloss pages!!

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
          Yep, that's a beaut, Dwayne!! I believe penciled by Gil Kane with the classic Romita inks lending it it's signature Spider-Man flair. The "old school" artists knew human anatomy and physiology and, while exaggerating it a little for the sake of comics, they knew the limitations of how the human body could bend and flex and kept everything in proportion. Today's artists, with a few minor exceptions, hide what they don't know under veils of flashy digital coloring and effects. Give me old school any day of the week!
          And isn't it funny that it took FIVE Spider-Man films for them to finally realize the (almost) perfect costume, complete with accurate Romita eyes and back spider? You can't reimagine perfection, nor do you need to.

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

Really enjoying this Spidey digression. Much truth these past few posts.
            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

If we want to swing the discussion back to the D.C. side of the room, here are some great, classic covers (with guts just as good) that were done minus Photoshop, digital coloring or other fancy effects but still managed, IMO, to tell you the story of what was inside...

If I could get clean, simple uncomplicated artwork like those above with a return to the characters I grew up with and enjoyed, I would definitely consider collecting again.
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎