• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

DC's plan to fix comic sales slump

Interesting. Discuss.

The comic book industry is in the throes of an existential crisis of its own making. With sales down across the board for basically all of the major publishers, shops like Marvel and DC have been scrambling to figure out how to bring old readers back into the folks while also appealing to new audiences—and DC says it…
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

I think they have the right idea. When I was working on my comic years ago I thought of doing it in a landscape format so that each page would be closer to the shape of a movie screen, with nice quality paper, kind of a "wide screen comic". And I think it's tough to hook new readers when it only takes 10 or 15 minutes to read a monthly comic, it's just not enough material when you want to sit down and read something, you have to buy a whole stack of comics just to get a good amount of story.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

They've kind of already done this with the Earth-One graphic novel line. But those tweaked the characters a bit beyond their "classic" versions. Continuity at DC doesn't make a lick of sense anyhow nowadays, so it's the perfect time to just go "classic" with stuff and let each story kind of fall into it's own little niche. Almost a Golden Age-like approach. They didn't worry about that stuff back then.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• TomStrong
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        They've kind of already done this with the Earth-One graphic novel line. But those tweaked the characters a bit beyond their "classic" versions. Continuity at DC doesn't make a lick of sense anyhow nowadays, so it's the perfect time to just go "classic" with stuff and let each story kind of fall into it's own little niche. Almost a Golden Age-like approach. They didn't worry about that stuff back then.

Chris
        I agree, go with more classic recognizable versions - contained stories -and maybe people will feel like they can just pick up a comic and read it. I've always preferred reading comics after they've had a chance to bundle it into a paperback. Heck I would even argue for longer stories less often. Maybe the quality would go up.

Comment

• TomStrong
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2011

Oh and more Alex Ross..

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I've read a few articles covering that talk and I have no idea what Gizmodo is talking about. They actually made it sound more nebulous than it is. Didio is giving free format to creative teams. If anyone should benefit from this, it's the Milker of Megos.

...and CBR must be razed and its ground salted. What an abomination.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 28, 2013

Meh, in what other industry would you have sales suffer so badly and still have the same guys at the top and running the show? Not sure what the endgame is, but pretty sure someone does and is heading there on purpose. I'll continue to purchase stuff I like, but the industry can save itself.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Marvel actually DID publish a landscape issue of FANTASTIC FOUR #252 courtesy of John Byrne's still wonderful run on that title...
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^There was a landscape issue of McFarlane's adjective-less Spider-Man too.

...and CBR must be razed and its ground salted. What an abomination.
                  I have a friend who does artwork for their "The Line It Is Drawn" feature, but I rarely check it out, because the insane amount of pop-up ads is just too much. That used to be such a great site.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I have a friend who does artwork for their "The Line It Is Drawn" feature, but I rarely check it out, because the insane amount of pop-up ads is just too much. That used to be such a great site.

Chris
                    I had no idea they were bought out. It looks like an uproxx/whatculture knockoff of CBR. I had to check the url twice.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

If the main key characters had a comic with a retro vibe and 70's style art and story, letters page etc I'd buy them again. I personally don't care for today's style and graphic images. I like the kiddie books better because comics should be simple and bright in my opinion. I think DC should bring back the classic vibe for old school guys like me.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                        If the main key characters had a comic with a retro vibe and 70's style art and story, letters page etc I'd buy them again. I personally don't care for today's style and graphic images. I like the kiddie books better because comics should be simple and bright in my opinion. I think DC should bring back the classic vibe for old school guys like me.
                        I agree with this completely. If you look at the bronze age covers...especially those of Marvel, there was an excitement, a drama to them that is sadly missing in today's comics. They were bold in their simplicity, and they told a story. Most if not all had dialog balloons and/or exciting blurbs on the cover. The simpler color palette and bold lines were more visually striking and drew your attention right away.

That's one of the things I dislike most about the look of today's comics. The muted colors and overdone shading/effects really obscure the line art.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Well, DC had a Batman 66 comic that was old school and it has been cancelled presumably due to sales.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Well, DC had a Batman 66 comic that was old school and it has been cancelled presumably due to sales.
                            I never thought of the Batman 66 comic as old school. It seemed very much to me a modern presentation of an old subject matter, and as such had a limited lifespan, just as the TV series itself.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

To me it read like a silver age comic which it seems everyone in our age group is wanting, but no one else it looks like. I doubt the 40-50 year old crowd can carry the comics sales for them any more than the teen to twenty year olds can.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎