X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 54: Movies of 1982

For our 54th show, we start with a brief (well for us) discussion about our thoughts on the newest actor to take the mantle of Doctor Who.

Then we dig deep into the movies released the summer of 1982. Some call it the greatest summer for movies and hey, a lot of these movies went from flops to being revered, so it's worth discussing.

Topics include spirited debate on Blade Runner, Poltergeist, Beast Master, The Wrath of Khan, Tron, Dark Crystal, The Thing, Conan the Barbarian, Swamp Thing among others.

As always we get sidetracked into talking about merchandise, carnivals, Harrison Ford, Marvel comics, Brian's love for the work of Jim Wynorski and how freaking expensive it was to buy VHS movies back in the day.....

Join us won't you and as always we want to you to tell us your opinion on our facebook page.

SDCC Attendees- Please stop by booth 2343 and say hi to Jason!

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Yes indeed, '82 was a truly momentous year for genre movies. So many great pictures released that year.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Fun show guys. I didn't see any of these films in the theater, unless Annie came out in 82...I think it was 81. My two elderly neighbors decided I would love it since I loved the comic strip characters so much. ;-)

I did spend a lot of time with most of these on VHS, as most entered constant rental rotation. I have never seen Mega Force either, despite that inside comic cover ad with a drawing of Barry Bostwick pointing at me, demanding I join Mega Force...or something.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Fun show guys. I didn't see any of these films in the theater, unless Annie came out in 82...I think it was 81. My two elderly neighbors decided I would love it since I loved the comic strip characters so much. ;-)
        Oh bless them.

I did spend a lot of time with most of these on VHS, as most entered constant rental rotation. I have never seen Mega Force either, despite that inside comic cover ad with a drawing of Barry Bostwick pointing at me, demanding I join Mega Force...or something.
        Deeds...Not Words.

Although tight fitting gold spandex and head bands.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Spawn67
          Career Member
          • Aug 14, 2009

Good show guys however I watched "they call me Bruce" recently and still think the one liners in this movie have aged well.
          Halloween 3 I have always been criticized for being a big fan of and 35 years later has a huge following. I think they just should have named it season of the witch.
          Overall movies from 1980-84 have a dark feel to them that still stands the test of time. Wasn't til 85 and on that everything became very colorful and neon when Miami Vice got big that the 80's is always associated with..
          You guys forgot to mention "The Toy" which came out in Christmas of 1982...haha.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Spawn67
            Good show guys however I watched "they call me Bruce" recently and still think the one liners in this movie have aged well.
            Agree to disagree on that one, although i still didn't hate the movie. I do like some of the "you can't make those jokes anymore" jokes.

I never hated Halloween 3, i probably like it better than part 2. It's just weird that they tried to spin the series away from Meyers.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Can't wait to listen to this. Although I love all those titles in bold, it was E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial for me. What can I say? I'm a big softie.

Comment

• Spawn67
                Career Member
                • Aug 14, 2009

Let's not forget Rocky 3 and fast times at ridgemont high came out in the summer of 82 as well.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

They were some of the best movies in history, and so unique.

I'll check this out sometime.

Amazing movies, where did all that raw creativity and artist skills & imagination come from all of the sudden in that time period.

And these were mostly movie that really made you feel like you were inside the world and backdrop of the movie.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 28, 2008

I once again enjoyed the podcast, and I definitely think that 1982 has proven to be an amazing year in film, although it did take time for many of them to gain that status, as you all articulated well. I turned seven in June of 1982, so I saw very few of these first run in the theater (I know my whole family went to ET, and I think that was it; I saw Dark Crystal and Wrath of Khan at the local college, who got films on a delay, so it was at least 1983). You make a good point about home video helping create the reputations for several of these, with a few of them falling into my top list as well.

On that note, I think that home video and its 21st century options factors into one of the points about the Doctor Who casting. I've heard Peter Davison's statements and read the piece online, which you both mentioned, about how the switch to a female incarnation takes away a strong male role model. I think if this casting move had been made when Tom Baker first hinted at it on his departure, then you could argue there was a loss. In the 1980s, I eagerly wanted to see the earlier episodes, and they were barely available. VHS tapes and PBS offerings began to help with that, and I read Target novelizations and did my due diligence to find what I could. Now, with the likes of BritBox and other options, all those earlier years with male Doctors are fairly easily available, so I don't feel like there's a loss. My only concern is they have good stories and picked a good actress (and I know she has some heavy weight on her shoulders). I do note that in 2017 it's not as though we truly lack strong female role models, but I have no problem with the new Doctor being in that number.
                    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Mar 26, 2017

I love MegaForce seen it many times

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡