• Feb 6, 2009

I like them as well ....... they are really nice
    "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LordMudd
      and yet again, no love for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, or Forbidden Planet. There are other classics that are being ignored.

CCC.
      Hmmm...maybe that's because this is a UNIVERSAL monsters set and those other films aren't Universal?

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LordMudd
        and yet again, no love for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, or Forbidden Planet. There are other classics that are being ignored.

CCC.
        Also, you need to know where to look. Moebius Models has a kit of the Fly coming out later this year. Both the films you mention have had beautiful posters recently released from Mondo. Thee are dozens of Robby the Robot models out there, and Crimson Pool Productions has a series of Silent Screams busts with Barrymore as Mr. Hyde (1920), Paul Wegener as the Golem (1921); and the Cat from the Cat and the Canary (1927)

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Universal trademark ownership over certain elements is based on Jack Pierce's employment; whatever he designed, they own. The Estates own how the makeup looked on their respective family members.

We got Genercula for years as the makeup was irrelevant to Lugosi's natural features, (his Estate could demand much more), while Lon Jr doesn't have the royalty clout of Boris' Frank or Mummy. Since Phantom Lon is a fully-created design by Chaney Sr, that's a whole royalty payment to the Estate. But Claude Phantom was a Pierce design and Rains is unrecognizable under the full mask, so I don't think they're even paying on that...and maybe not the Invisible Man.

Universal has a licensing agreement in place for Lon Phantom, but royalties require payment on usage. If they don't license it for usage, they don't pay on it. One of the prime motivators of Dork Universe is to eschew the Estates and separate the talent/character association.

...and yes, this is the main reason we've gotten jack squat for Hammer licensing. Mego Frank is the poster boy of Hammer Frank minus Lee's mug.
          Last edited by hedrap; Jul 23, '17, 1:29 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I have no idea where the likeness rights reside, but of course I see your point regarding the ownership of the films themselves.
            The Chaney Phantom and Hunchback have to be licensed from the Chaney estate. Universal includes the 43 Phantom in Blu-ray releases and Universal Monsters marketing because of the licensing issues and the movies being in public domain.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the clarifications about Lon's Phantom--I hadn't considered both the actor's and design rights together, which particularly makes sense for films in the public domain.

All things considered, fans have been pretty blessed with Chaney Phantom stuff, it's iconic IMO.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Allie Fox
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                You're right, Ross is awful for celebrating Universal with these beautiful paintings. I expect him to paint all my favourites as well, including a seven part series on "Choo Choo and the Philly Flash"
                First of all. . . it's CHU CHU!

Second. . . He can get to that as soon as he finishes up with my request for a character study of "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu.

Ross is a hard one to figure out. He is either loved or hated it seems.

I like his work. His art for the anniversary of Flash Gordon (1980) dvd set was outstanding.
                If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                  First of all. . . it's CHU CHU!
                  Oh a thousand pardons, I'll go fall on my sword now.

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                  Second. . . He can get to that as soon as he finishes up with my request for a character study of "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu.

NOT UNTIL HE'S FINISHED WITH "THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN INVINCIBLE"!
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎