X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Alex Ross SDCC Universal Monsters

Couldn't find a thread for this in Monsters or Comics...

Shop fine art, comic books, and more from Alex Ross—the world-renowned comic artist and creator of Marvels & Kingdom Come.

• LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

In other words, just repeat what has already been done and add nothing to it.

CCC.

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by LordMudd

CCC.

I'm not a huge Universal Monsters fan, but I like Alex Ross interpretation. It's not that far removed from how the monsters looked back in the day, but that's his style. Any kind of art is very subjective.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

CCC.
        Why the negativity? Ross added a lot. The actual scenes depicted in the films have been expanded upon as they are presented here. The character poses and compositions are new, original and very striking. Like looking at a deleted scene from the film.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I love the Wolfman, with Sir John ready to strike. Captures the whole crux of the father/son strained relationship!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
            Like looking at a deleted scene from the film.
            That's what I felt, too. It's a cross between the classic and modern (pre-60's) camera angles the camera crews didn't have the ability to pull off at the time.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Why the negativity? Ross added a lot. The actual scenes depicted in the films have been expanded upon as they are presented here. The character poses and compositions are new, original and very striking. Like looking at a deleted scene from the film.
              Yeah, I think they're fantastic.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I would buy prints of all of these. Not sure where I'd hang them, but I'd buy them!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I like these a lot, I suppose getting a set is impossible.

I want to gripe about no Phantom but, ach, the others .
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I think they look really good.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

and yet again, no love for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, or Forbidden Planet. There are other classics that are being ignored.

CCC.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I love all sorts of genre films: Metropolis, Der Golem, Dr. Mabuse, Forbidden Planet, A Matter of Life and Death, The Thief of Baghdad, The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.

Robby from Forbidden Planet has decent licensing, but not of these competes with the pop-culture saturation and notoriety of the classic "monsters."

I'll bet Ross is a fan of some of these others, too and would consider a commission. But there is also an overall consideration of marketability.

It's notable that the silent Phantom isn't included, so I'm not sure other "silents" would be considered. Actually, I'm surprised the Invisible Man made the cut--but of course Uni doesn't have to pay likeness rights thereof.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

It's notable that the silent Phantom isn't included, so I'm not sure other "silents" would be considered.
                          Universal tends to ignore the Chaney Phantom because the movie is in public domain. That's why they generally favor the 43 version in marketing.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

and yet again, no love for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, or Forbidden Planet. There are other classics that are being ignored.

CCC.
                            You're right, Ross is awful for celebrating Universal with these beautiful paintings. I expect him to paint all my favourites as well, including a seven part series on "Choo Choo and the Philly Flash"
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              Universal tends to ignore the Chaney Phantom because the movie is in public domain. That's why they generally favor the 43 version in marketing.
                              I know, but that just confuses me more. Joe Public probably now thinks of Andrew Lloyd Webber, but fans always single out Chaney. And it seems to me Uni leans towards the '25 film...I don't know of a single '43 licensed product, but there are many '25 versions. I have no idea where the likeness rights reside, but of course I see your point regarding the ownership of the films themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎