• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by hedrap
    Good timing thread.

I was wondering if the Blu-Ray set is the best available? Doesn't that include both original and remastered versions?
    The set I have of Blu-Ray lets you choose which version you want to see. Yes I'm in the original SFX are fine camp. The updated stuff is pretty terrible mostly.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

The remastered editions with CGI looks like *****

Always thought so.

Glad to see peeps are finally noticing it for themselves

Comment

• Allie Fox
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 1, 2009

They also modified the soundtrack too. It is most noticeable in the opening and closing segments. It is "quieter" and a bit subdued.
        If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, the "remastered" opening themes are horrible. I can't remember which season it is, but Shatner sounds like he's talking through a tin can.

And it sounds like an all new vocal track of the female voice singing the melody. Why?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            ^Yeah, the "remastered" opening themes are horrible. I can't remember which season it is, but Shatner sounds like he's talking through a tin can.

And it sounds like an all new vocal track of the female voice singing the melody. Why?

Chris
            You can tell the people involved worked really hard on the remasters. My only complaint is Van Gelder isn't inserted into every episode tristan-adams.jpg

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

yeah, I couldn't tell if it was distorted or simply re done. It's really glaring and sort of odd.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LardLad
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 13, 2012

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                You can tell the people involved worked really hard on the remasters. My only complaint is Van Gelder isn't inserted into every episode [ATTACH=CONFIG]21090[/ATTACH]
                Yes, everything is better with more Van Gelder. I wish they'd given him more air time in Logan's Run (tv series).

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

I personally like the CGI upgrades, in fact in this digital day and age of HD TV's & Blu-ray's...I think they were absolutely necessary. I have an awesome 55" Samsung 1080p TV and own the Blu-ray set and LOVE IT! But hey...to each his own.
                  sigpic

Comment

• toothaction
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 15, 2017

It invariably bums me out when old, perfect things are 'updated' for a modern audience by a modern marketing team - from reformatting the image to 'fit' a specific, newer screen to 'fixing' old special effects, it always strikes my eyes as a glaring compromise rather than a welcome retrofit --- I continue to love what I loved often because of how clear it is now what era it came from, and anything other than print restoration takes away from the pleasure I get from re-experiencing whatever thing it is that I want to take a new look at. Also, more significantly, it robs those that didn't experience whatever it was in its day of being able to see the true creation as it existed then. Where's the interest in history?

As mentioned above, however you 'fix' an older thing is just going to look dated in a different way in short order.

TL:DR: Bah!

Brought to you by Grumpy Old Man, Inc., a subsidiary of Get Off My Lawn Enterprises.
                    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Man, I haven't watched these redone HD versions since they were released on HD DVD about 10 years ago (the high def versions came out on HD DVD before Blu-ray because back during the format war when the studios were choosing sides, Paramount originally went with the HD DVD side instead of Blu-ray). I remember liking the redone FX at the time and everything looked really nice in HD, but I'm sure that now ten years later they probably look dated.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                        yeah, I couldn't tell if it was distorted or simply re done. It's really glaring and sort of odd.
                        Does anyone know who that female voice singing the melody is? at first I thought it was Nichelle Nichols
                        but I'm thinking it was maybe some female opera singer of the time.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                          Does anyone know who that female voice singing the melody is? at first I thought it was Nichelle Nichols
                          but I'm thinking it was maybe some female opera singer of the time.
                          The vocal was re-recorded for the remastered Blu Rays. I saw a clip of it being done, and the woman singing wasn't Nichelle Nichols.

And I like the option of the new CGI. Granted, some of it works and some of it doesn't, but I like having the option of what to watch. The planet Vulcan in "Amok Time" looks awesome.

At least they learned from the mistake of Lucasfilm and didn't pretend the original "no longer existed." We can choose what we prefer, and that's cool.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

You guys are nuts. The updated CG FX look great. Most are seamless and the ones with very minor issues, certainly look better than most of the bad effect shots they were replacing. The blinking on the Gorn is the ONLY thing that looks real, lol.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                              And I like the option of the new CGI. Granted, some of it works and some of it doesn't, but I like having the option of what to watch. The planet Vulcan in "Amok Time" looks awesome.
                              It's hard to have beef with the option of original VS newly updated. BBC did the same thing with some Doctor Who DVDs where they added new CGI. Like the Treks, i find the transition too discordant and stick with the original.

I wish I had that option with netflix/cravetv but Paramount is only interested in streaming the new ones.

I do agree some of the Planet scenes probably come out the best, the ships to me look dated now.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I actually have more respect for the Animated Series cause they clearly rotoscoped the original effects into the animation.

They could have done the same with CGI leaving every clean but familiar

Instead they decide to add "artist touches" wish should have never been added.

Star Trek got along just fine for 40+ years without makeover

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎