X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Kenner Empire

It was around this time as a kid that I realized that I could never, ever "Collect Them All" when it came to Star Wars. Not that I had everything made leading up to this point but there was probably some child like naivete that I could catch up somehow.

Fortunately for me, I was close friends with a kid who GOT EVERYTHING and while he wasn't always a joy to be around, my goodness his basement was a wonderland!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Ranger 3
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 25, 2007

I always to 'Collect them all!" as applying to the figures themselves. And as such, I did- right up through the Droids and Ewoks figure series. I was a very obedient child.

M

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

It was right around this point that I bowed out of buying Star Wars figures to play with. I bought a few of the first wave of ESB figures at the local department store, but at that point I was nearly 13 years old and terrified that some classmates would see me buying toys. Of course, around five years later I came back as a "collector".

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I did have that set...Imperial Attack Base. As I recall, it got a lot of use, for some reason....being pretty simple (maybe that's the answer).

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

that is one of the few sets I still have. probably because I gave it to my son to play with. I think it is missing some pieces now but it got a lot of love from two generations. I was definitely a collect them all kid. I almost had the complete set too, was only missing a few playsets and vehicles. I did not really bother with the Ewoks and Droids lines though as they were really juvenile cartoons. sold most of my collection earlier in this century. Sounds weird putting it like that, LOL

Comment

• SKotK
            Career Member
            • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by RSS
            It was around this time as a kid that I realized that I could never, ever "Collect Them All" when it came to Star Wars. Not that I had everything made leading up to this point but there was probably some child like naivete that I could catch up somehow.

Fortunately for me, I was close friends with a kid who GOT EVERYTHING and while he wasn't always a joy to be around, my goodness his basement was a wonderland!
            How many of us knew a kid like that? Or, how many of us *were* that kid? (I sure wasn't)

My best friend in second grade was a kid whose parents were fairly well off, and not only did he get EVERYTHING, he got TWO OF EVERYTHING. The second set of toys was ostensibly purchased for his sister, so she didn't feel left out. But she didn't care a lick for that stuff, so he basically got to play with it all. So, two Death Stars, two TIE Fighters, two Landspeeders, two X-Wings...and two of every single action figure. It was heaven in that basement.

My best friend in third grade, on the other hand, wasn't extremely well off. In fact, they lived in kind of a run-down house. But his mom still got him EVERYTHING.

Which means my parents had NO EXCUSE!

--SKot
            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I had two in my life, my neighbour that i shared a back yard with had EVERYTHING. His parents were giant hippies but they seemed to get him whatever he wanted. He was a nice kid who shared everything. I was bummed when he moved away.

The second kid was the one I was referring to above in the post. He was an only child who lived in the countryside. You literally had to be shipped in to play with him. He was also spoiled rotten, we were friends for a few years. He was extremely confident, bright and VERY competitive. If i got a figure from a new wave? He'd have the whole wave the next day. (he once got his mom to pick him up at lunch to get them). He liked getting his way.

He was my first "Frenemy", he'd bad mouth me to others, not tell me where he got something that sort of thing. We eventually got into a fight (he won) and haven't spoken since. He's done well for himself, we have mutual friends on facebook but I have no desire to reach out. Except I'd love to buy his toys.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I had a friend/frenemy who would keep all of HIS toys in the box they came in, clean them up after play, etc. If we both had the same toy, he'd want to play with mine, not his. He usually got what he wanted, but when he didn't, could be a real tool. When I had a G.I. Joe Skystriker jet and he didn't, he decided to throw it off a hill "to see if it would fly". It barely survived, and the wings never popped open right after that. I should have decked him right then. He's a laywer now, not surprisingly. :-)

Another frenemy I had used to have all his toys busted by his little brothers. So he'd come over and take his frustration out on mine. He totally destroyed my sweet Evel Kneivel ride-on Big-Wheel-type thing. Rode it down a rough hill behind my house, busted the wheels and left, all while I was inside my house eating supper!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

I could never "collect them all" either... there was just no way. But I did manage to keep hold of all my childhood SW figures and I've been slowly filling in the gaps in my collection ever since.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎