X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Martin Landau: A Toy Tribute

I was kinda crushed to hear of the passing of Martin Landau yesterday besides being a fan of his work, there is also a true connection to him and this site.

It was my admiration for merchandise based on Space:1999 that got me into toy collecting in the first place, so without Martin Landau toys, no PlaidStallions. I figured the best thing to do would be to showcase my favourite items that feature his likeness, so please join me after the jump!

While I certainly don't have a large collection of Space:1999 items, it is whittled down to my all time favourites. Like the AHI Parachutist above.

This is my all time favourite Mego figure, I remember finding it was like a holy grail at the time.

I can't tell you how many hours i spent with this as a kid.

I got this from a former Mattel employee, it's a rejected head sculpt for a 12" figure based on Space:1999. It's a shame this never was produced because it's likeness is quite eerie.

I spent the better part of an hour setting up the Mattel Eagle yesterday, I was elated to find that I own two Commander Koenig figures. I got the news Landau had passed after this.

Finally, this is the poster I pass on my way to my office. It was a recent purchase and something I had spent decades looking for.

RIP Mr Landau.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Fener
    • Sep 3, 2014

Beautiful collection!
    WANTED (original not repro): Riddler belt, western guns (3). Matt Mason astronaut helmets (2).

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Very nice collection.

BTW: Have you ever taken a group shot of all of your parachute figures? That would be neat to see.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bravestarr
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 26, 2017

Nice toy tribute

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

I actually never seen Space 1999 it was never on my TV from the 90's - now and I never sought out the DVDs. But I can relate to the settings up your ship then finding out of his passing. I was listening to the Batcave podcast when Adam West died. It was very surreal.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Love the Mego/Palitoy stuff, wish I had them. And am I the only person alive that would dig Mission: Impossible Megos?

Nice tribute--I'm rewatching Ed Wood tonight in homage.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              Love the Mego/Palitoy stuff, wish I had them. And am I the only person alive that would dig Mission: Impossible Megos?
              Yes probably.
              But there is some MI merch out there the 5 gold key comics, the viewmaster, and this rare and pricey kit.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Which episode was this from? I watched the whole series recently but every 5th episode had pseudo Nazis in it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^"The Bunker" parts 1 and 2, 1969--season 3, episode 19 & 20.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

A very nice tribute. Strangely, Space: 1999 was never in syndication in my area either, but I still knew of the show from the comic and Power Records ads. I feel like I know the show somewhat through osmosis by reading and listening to you talk about if over the last 13 or so years. You've definitely flown the flag for the show!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      ^"The Bunker" parts 1 and 2, 1969--season 3, episode 19 & 20.
                      That's the episodes with Lee Meriwether. Before she joined the team in season 4.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Yep, I love her, I'd watch her in anything--my favorite Catwoman, too.

Comment

• J.B.
                          Guild Navigator
                          • Jun 23, 2010

All Hail Commander Koenig.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Robin NY
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Nov 13, 2008

Man thanks for sharing the collection. I recall Martin fondly from my youth and still enjoy watching him on the Twighlight Zone.
                            RIP Martin.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

great tribute. I had the Mattel versions of the figures but always thought they were rather lame with such poor articulation. I have severalof the DVD's of the show but not the whole series. it was a fun show, even if the effects and premise were a little hokie

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎