Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Landau: A Toy Tribute

Plaid Stallions Martin Landau: A Toy Tribute

I was kinda crushed to hear of the passing of Martin Landau yesterday besides being a fan of his work, there is also a true connection to him and this site.

It was my admiration for merchandise based on Space:1999 that got me into toy collecting in the first place, so without Martin Landau toys, no PlaidStallions. I figured the best thing to do would be to showcase my favourite items that feature his likeness, so please join me after the jump!

While I certainly don't have a large collection of Space:1999 items, it is whittled down to my all time favourites. Like the AHI Parachutist above.

This is my all time favourite Mego figure, I remember finding it was like a holy grail at the time.

I can't tell you how many hours i spent with this as a kid.

I got this from a former Mattel employee, it's a rejected head sculpt for a 12" figure based on Space:1999. It's a shame this never was produced because it's likeness is quite eerie.

I spent the better part of an hour setting up the Mattel Eagle yesterday, I was elated to find that I own two Commander Koenig figures. I got the news Landau had passed after this.

Finally, this is the poster I pass on my way to my office. It was a recent purchase and something I had spent decades looking for.

RIP Mr Landau.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...

Beautiful collection!
    WANTED (original not repro): Shazam cape, Riddler belt, western gun, Batgirl gloves and cape. Matt Mason astronaut helmet.

Images
    Very nice collection.

BTW: Have you ever taken a group shot of all of your parachute figures? That would be neat to see.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Nice toy tribute

Images
    I actually never seen Space 1999 it was never on my TV from the 90's - now and I never sought out the DVDs. But I can relate to the settings up your ship then finding out of his passing. I was listening to the Batcave podcast when Adam West died. It was very surreal.

Images
    Love the Mego/Palitoy stuff, wish I had them. And am I the only person alive that would dig Mission: Impossible Megos?

Nice tribute--I'm rewatching Ed Wood tonight in homage.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-swords; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    Love the Mego/Palitoy stuff, wish I had them. And am I the only person alive that would dig Mission: Impossible Megos?
    Yes probably.
    But there is some MI merch out there the 5 gold key comics, the viewmaster, and this rare and pricey kit.

Images
    Which episode was this from? I watched the whole series recently but every 5th episode had pseudo Nazis in it.

Images
    ^"The Bunker" parts 1 and 2, 1969--season 3, episode 19 & 20.
    WANTED: NM or boxed Fonzie jalopy; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; minty POTA stallion reins (brown); Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-swords; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    A very nice tribute. Strangely, Space: 1999 was never in syndication in my area either, but I still knew of the show from the comic and Power Records ads. I feel like I know the show somewhat through osmosis by reading and listening to you talk about if over the last 13 or so years. You've definitely flown the flag for the show!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif