Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Watched the BBC UK broadcast. (There were no opening titles for this episode, but you'll catch the theme music over the end credits).
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I liked it. Jodi's is a dangerous universe. People die and there's nothing the doctor can do about it. The universe also seems more grounded in reality. No more Slitheen farts or 3-D glasses. Not that I disliked those things, but it's a more serious tone. Maybe showing some of that Torchwood influence?

How long do you think we'll go without the Tardis? The whole season?
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• toothaction
        Career Member
        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Godzilla
        How long do you think we'll go without the Tardis? The whole season?
        Considering where we left our quartet, literally, I imagine just a few seconds longer!

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        Watched the BBC UK broadcast. (There were no opening titles for this episode, but you'll catch the theme music over the end credits).
        I caught that the show was forgoing an opening credit sequence, fine by me, but they completely cut out every second of the credits over on our side of the pond. Grrr, haha.
        Last edited by toothaction; Oct 7, '18, 4:30 PM.
        >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

while I did not have any issue with the story overall, and Jodi was okay for the premier, still to find herself in the character. I found the liberal minded PC bull**** of the casting choices for the companions insulting. doesn't have anything to do with whether the show will be good or bad, I am just sick of this PC SJW crap being shoved down my throat. I will give it 2 more episodes and if the writing and acting isn't great, I am done with the show until the next doctor

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            I found the liberal minded PC bull**** of the casting choices for the companions insulting. doesn't have anything to do with whether the show will be good or bad, I am just sick of this PC SJW crap being shoved down my throat.
            Black folk getting hired to play roles on television is PC SJW crap? Hmm...
            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

This Doctor looks promising. Action oriented. I enjoyed the 1st episode and look forward to the next.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I found the liberal minded PC bull**** of the casting choices for the companions insulting. doesn't have anything to do with whether the show will be good or bad, I am just sick of this PC SJW crap being shoved down my throat. I will give it 2 more episodes and if the writing and acting isn't great, I am done with the show until the next doctor
                And I find the reactionary conservative BS response to the casting choices for the companions insulting. Potentially doesn't have anything to do whether the show will be good or bad, I am just sick of this reactionary sore-winner crap being shoved down my throat.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I love the diverse cast because I haven't seen a Tardis crew like this, that will be interesting. I think that's why they were chosen, story wise.

Found the episode overall pretty decent, they avoided any cringey remarks and while I think Whittaker seems to be chanelling David Tennant, the actors need to find their voice. Not found of the outfit, loved the theme and the fact that it ended on cliffhanger. I'm in for more.

Didn't like the commercials.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

It will be interesting to see how the BBC handles the "educational" aspects of the forthcoming episodes where the Doctor takes Yasmin back to India during the time of the British Empire and Ryan to the USA in 1955 to witness the famous Rosa Parks incident.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

I thought the first episode was promising, thought she had a bit of a Eccleston/Tennant vibe. I hope you all were able to understand the thick northern accents of Sheffield. Her response to being regenerated into a woman was perfect (even hinting that the Doctor had been a woman in the past).

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by clemso
                        I hope you all were able to understand the thick northern accents of Sheffield.
                        And the sonic screwdriver now has "added Sheffield Steel". Best line of the show.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                          Hot Child in the City
                          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by clemso
                          I thought the first episode was promising, thought she had a bit of a Eccleston/Tennant vibe. I hope you all were able to understand the thick northern accents of Sheffield. Her response to being regenerated into a woman was perfect (even hinting that the Doctor had been a woman in the past).
                          I could clearly understand all the dialog, which was great. During the Capaldi series I literally had to turn on closed captioning to figute out what he said at times!
                          I'm hoping that they do at least one straight historical adventure, no aliens, just normal mystery and/or period bad guys. There hasn't been one since the 5th Doctor's Black Orchid (I believe...is that correct?).
                          Almost had one with 10 & Agatha Christie then they threw in the giant wasp creature.
                          Also, why did the Doctor say her family is all gone? Did I miss something? Isn't Susan still out there as well as Jenny?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

while I did not have any issue with the story overall, and Jodi was okay for the premier, still to find herself in the character. I found the liberal minded PC bull**** of the casting choices for the companions insulting. doesn't have anything to do with whether the show will be good or bad, I am just sick of this PC SJW crap being shoved down my throat. I will give it 2 more episodes and if the writing and acting isn't great, I am done with the show until the next doctor
                            Soooooooo........what was Martha? Or Mickey?

Comment

• toothaction
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by toothaction
                              Insult to injury? They literally didn't play the credits, just cut to more commercials the moment the story was over. Ugh, we didn't even get to hear the new theme music!

Phew! I feel much better now.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

To me it felt like a tribute to the 80s. Unfortunately, the bad kind of 80s.
                                Ripping off X-Files (aliens stole my sister), Predator (the hunter), a bit of Terminator, a Guyver style alien. I felt like I was back in one of the mediocre McCoy episodes, even down to the theme music. She even made her screwdriver in true A-Team style, using just bits and bobs like a spoon.

But I've noticed that first episodes are often mediocre, so let's see what happens next.
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎