Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Totally disagree, I don't think it's art's job to keep you safe or protect your feelings.

This may not be my favourite choice, I question the motivation but I don't think the show owes me a single thing. Either I watch it or I don't.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Why would you say that ?

I don't think the show owes ANY of us anything and they are welcomed to do what they want.

I'm just giving an opinion about how I would like them to work in a female lead.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Well because you said you want a safe solution that placates fans who are having a tough time accepting the concept. I just don't think it has to do that.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I'm just trying to think of a way to keep a shaky-in-ratings show on the air -- and IMO fan historians will note this season is when Doctor Who Jumped the Shark

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Regardless of what "Fan Historians" will think, you've already made up your mind.

i'd rather have a show willing to make changes despite possible backlash than one that softens the concept to pander to a segment of their fan base. I think that's death.

It could be really good, it could be bad or not for me. I don't know but I'll hold all predictions until I've watched it a few times.

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
              Totally disagree, I don't think it's art's job to keep you safe or protect your feelings.
              But isn't that what hey did by bowing to pressure from the bloggers, etc. and a subset of fans who felt it was time the Doctor was woman? Had they done it, say, around 1980 when Tom Baker left (as I've read they were considering) then it would have been more organic and an expression of pushing in a different direction. The current change was in response to a din of complainers who wanted the Doctor to "be like them" -- i.e., make them feel included and safe so the show would support/protect their feelings.

And for the record, I'm waiting to see how it plays out before deciding if the change is a good one.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by knight errant00
                But isn't that what hey did by bowing to pressure from the bloggers, etc. and a subset of fans who felt it was time the Doctor was woman? Had they done it, say, around 1980 when Tom Baker left (as I've read they were considering) then it would have been more organic and an expression of pushing in a different direction. The current change was in response to a din of complainers who wanted the Doctor to "be like them" -- i.e., make them feel included and safe so the show would support/protect their feelings.

And for the record, I'm waiting to see how it plays out before deciding if the change is a good one.
                I cautioned my comments with "I question it's motives" because we don't know if Chris Chibnall always wanted this and has a plan. We can't know if this is bowing to pressure or merely a creative choice.

It'll be an interesting conversation after say, the first few episodes, especially if it's viewed with zero expectations like you're suggesting. I still may not like it but if i can see it has a meaning.

There has been fan pressure to do it for over thirty years, I personally think JNT would have done it, it would be purely for shock value and he would have had no plan but we'll never know. His casting choices were largely reactionary to the previous Doctor IMO.

Turning the reigns over to Romana for a season but quickly returning the male doctor by the end is pandering to me though. It's not organic at all and would smack of it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by knight errant00
                  The current change was in response to a din of complainers who wanted the Doctor to "be like them" -- i.e., make them feel included and safe so the show would support/protect their feelings.
                  If someone doesn't like change, fine, I get that. But that's not what this is really about and it's disappointing to see comments like that here.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm only a casual Who fan and I could watch Hartnell through Davidson episodes and be perfectly happy. (I guess that's stagnation, I call it nostalgia.)

But I've made a decent effort to keep up with "new" Who and have enjoyed aspects of it all along. I will admit to not having a lot of buy-in, but I'm interested in this change and more interested in how it plays out over the season.

The great thing about Dr. Who is that a re-set is always an option, built into the show. I don't think Whittaker will sink the franchise, but if ratings dive, there's always a solution.

For those concerned about a gender change, don't you think that charisma and good writing define a memorable Doctor more than sex?
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 25, '18, 4:02 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      If someone doesn't like change, fine, I get that. But that's not what this is really about and it's disappointing to see comments like that here.
                      I had no intention to disappoint anyone. And I said I'd wait and until I'd seen the new season before deciding.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

I've trying to find out where I can watch this show, but I'm not find it anywhere...On Demand, Netflix, etc...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

It's on BBC America. New season hasn't started yet.

You can watch seasons 1-10 of the current iteration on Amazon Prime.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                            You can watch seasons 1-10 of the current iteration on Amazon Prime.

I have Prime! Thanks Dude!
                            sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              If someone doesn't like change, fine, I get that. But that's not what this is really about...
                              I want to say for the record that if I'm reading you right, it can be quite frustrating to be a supportive comicbook/fantasy nerd, and very right-wing in many social dynamics, and hear that certain people are convinced all criticism in this case (or other cases of gender or race or other "political" stuff) is 100 percent about someone's political leanings.

I imagine some more Left-leaning nerds would feel just as bad but for "mirror" reasons.

Kinda like how I'm defending Gunn right now... but don't agree with his politics at all.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

My biggest problem is having a female Doctor in the series current time line... Dr Who is a dude

I don't have anything against strong smart female leads whatsoever

I would accept a female James Bond much quicker because James Bond is just a title and not an actual person.

As for the JNT 80's talk, it's no secret JNT hated the series - especially by the mid 80's and if he did do a female Dr Who I believe it would have been to sabotage it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎