X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

FYI...

Here's a link to Shirtless Doctors. Sylvester McCoy is mindblowing!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Why yes, yes he is. That's a long ways from Radegast. Thanks for sharing.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I think they have been building towards this for a good while. they introduced the idea with the Master coming back as a woman first, then they switch the Doctor as well. I just hope it is not a PC gimmick

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Hate it,never heard of her just doesn't seem right and no not because it's a woman but because the master is/was a woman.
          It just feels like wrong timing to me I think it would have been a way fresher idea a few years ago or even instead of capaldi.Now it feels off.
          On the bright side 3 years and she's out ,so see you back here in 2020 or 2021!!!!
          Then again who knows I was wrong about Starbuck....lol
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

As a total outsider, it's weird not that they went with a woman, but they're mortified of casting someone who isn't a stiff Brit. Adds a subtext to all of it.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by johnnystorm
              FYI...

Here's a link to Shirtless Doctors. Sylvester McCoy is mindblowing!

http://doris-wildthyme.tumblr.com/po...and-the-eleven

I look at that photo of McCoy and expect it to be part of a Plaid Stallions article.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I'm not sure how I feel about this. In today's climate, I'm afraid to say I'm not crazy about it, because you get lumped into the intolerant "all white males, all the time" crowd.
                A certain subset will hate it because it is a woman...

A certain subset will hate it because it is not Colin Baker... or David Tennant... or whoever they consider the One True Doctor...

A certain subset will pretend its great no matter what, just because it is this landmark moment in casting diversity...

I think the remainder of us can only have mixed feelings. The Doctor is a character that can change wildly from one regeneration to the next. Old vs. young, sunglasses vs. a fez, etc. That "almost everything changes, but something about the Doctor stays the same" is part of the fun of the show. If they pull that off here, it could add some freshness to the show's formula. But *can they* pull it off? Beats me.. We can only wait and see.

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                It just feels like wrong timing to me I think it would have been a way fresher idea a few years ago or even instead of capaldi.Now it feels off.
                I agree that 12 would have been a better time to do it. It would have been a better fit both from a narrative and social perspective. But I am guessing they had the 50th special and they knew they would already get plenty of publicity and eyeballs. So they chose to play it safe.

Regardless of how people feel about her as the Doctor, this is certainly going to generate a ton of publicity for the show.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

As a fan and watcher my view is men secretly want to be the Doctor, and woman secretly want to be with the Doctor.

Having a woman Doctor ruins what happily worked for 50 years.

They should have made a new spin off and tried it out (The Adventures of Romana) so they don't damage a legend on a whim of a few people that decide

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                    As a fan and watcher my view is men secretly want to be the Doctor, and woman secretly want to be with the Doctor.
                    Everyone wants to be the Doctor.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

sprytel took the words right out of my mouth, Mikey. I don't think I've ever encountered a WHOvian, male or female, who didn't want to be The Doctor, traveling all of time and space and saving people, planets and, heck, the whole universe. It's every WHOvian's dream...

To presume that casting a woman in the role of The Doctor after 50 some odd years, and a little over halfway through the second decade of the new millennium, would ruin or destroy the property/franchise seems a little like operating with blinders on. This is change and change is the ONLY constant in the universe. And try looking at it from perhaps another perspective; the ladies have had their Doctors to drool over (Tennant, Smith and, to a certain extent, Eccleston), so I think it's high time we gents get a Doctor we can drool over and admire for more than their mind. If the attached photo of Jodie Whittaker is any indication, then we should be good for the next few years...

P.S. I don't think you have to worry that the TARDIS will be painted pink or anything, either, since it's blue is a trademark. I will, however, be curious to see what changes will occur regarding not only the TARDIS' control console, but also the relationship between The Doctor and the TARDIS since they are both now female...
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

I have never been disappointed by any of the actors who have played the role. Sure, I have favorites, but all of them did a great job (after some adjustment).

I would have loved another season or two with Capaldi, true, and would have preferred an older woman in the part, but let's see what happens.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          sprytel took the words right out of my mouth, Mikey. I don't think I've ever encountered a WHOvian, male or female, who didn't want to be The Doctor, traveling all of time and space and saving people, planets and, heck, the whole universe. It's every WHOvian's dream...

To presume that casting a woman in the role of The Doctor after 50 some odd years, and a little over halfway through the second decade of the new millennium, would ruin or destroy the property/franchise seems a little like operating with blinders on. This is change and change is the ONLY constant in the universe. And try looking at it from perhaps another perspective; the ladies have had their Doctors to drool over (Tennant, Smith and, to a certain extent, Eccleston), so I think it's high time we gents get a Doctor we can drool over and admire for more than their mind. If the attached photo of Jodie Whittaker is any indication, then we should be good for the next few years...

P.S. I don't think you have to worry that the TARDIS will be painted pink or anything, either, since it's blue is a trademark. I will, however, be curious to see what changes will occur regarding not only the TARDIS' control console, but also the relationship between The Doctor and the TARDIS since they are both now female...
                          I was going by my older Sis's thoughts ...

She got me into Dr Who way back in the 70's --- at the time the theme song scared the pee out me

Today she's in her early 60's and thinks a female Dr Who is "stupid" and ruins the show

Take it anyway you want but this is coming from a classic female fan.

Still waiting for cousin Oliver to be announced as a companion so I know it's officially Jumped the Shark

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
                            A certain subset will hate it because it is a woman...

A certain subset will hate it because it is not Colin Baker... or David Tennant... or whoever they consider the One True Doctor...

A certain subset will pretend its great no matter what, just because it is this landmark moment in casting diversity...

I think the remainder of us can only have mixed feelings. The Doctor is a character that can change wildly from one regeneration to the next. Old vs. young, sunglasses vs. a fez, etc. That "almost everything changes, but something about the Doctor stays the same" is part of the fun of the show. If they pull that off here, it could add some freshness to the show's formula. But *can they* pull it off? Beats me.. We can only wait and see.
                            Pretty much nailed it here. Those of us with mixed feelings or reservations will be mostly quiet because we don't want to get lumped in with........ let's just say the less enlightened. I peeked at internet comments and immediately regretted my decision.

Even if the new season is amazing, there will be a good 20% decrying it ever step of the way. I don't envy Chris Chibnall, he doubled his pressure to perform.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Pretty much nailed it here. Those of us with mixed feelings or reservations will be mostly quiet because we don't want to get lumped in with........ let's just say the less enlightened. I peeked at internet comments and immediately regretted my decision.
                              You said in a few sentences what I took several paragraphs to say earlier.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

I also stopped reading comments sections on several articles about the casting after the first 10 or so comments on them were all variations on "will her sonic screwdriver have a vibration setting?"...

It will be interesting to see what kind of companion they cast. Will they go for a male companion? If so, will he be a strong, competent character similar to most of the Doctor's recent female companions or will they go for a klutzy type constantly in need of rescuing? Lots of possibilities.
                                Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 17, '17, 10:09 AM.
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎