X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
    I don't think those are great comparisons, Kirk and Bond's masculinity are very much a part of their characters. They are ladies men who like to use physical violence.

The Doctor uses his brains to defeat his enemies and especially the last two, haven't been interested in any sort of romance.
    Ok, Ghostbusters then

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
      Ok, Ghostbusters then
      Oof, the "G" word, hard to defend that movie but I don't think the presence of men would have made that script any better?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
        Oof, the "G" word, hard to defend that movie but I don't think the presence of men would have made that script any better?
        Nah, that was a certain death even if they had all A listers

Only person that made it at the very most semi-watchable was Lesley Jones imo

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In today's climate, I'm afraid to say I'm not crazy about it, because you get lumped into the intolerant "all white males, all the time" crowd. I think there are enough strong female characters in the franchise that The Doctor didn't need to become a female him/her self. I also think had this change occurred a few years back it would have seemed more natural, and less a semi middle finger by liberal-minded folks to those who DO fall into the intolerant "all white males, all the time" crowd. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

The real proof will be her interpretation, and the stories she is given. I liked Capaldi from the get-go, but he wasn't well-served by the writers a good chunk of the time.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Steeler80
            Mayor of Strunk
            • Jun 29, 2001

This will be interesting and something that has been hinted at for a long time. I'm not against it per se and it might lead to some interesting new developments. For example, the Doctor has always been good at getting strangers to follow his lead (this was even explicitly mentioned in the last season). Will that change because of some cosmic chauvinism the Doctor may run into? Ultimately, it will be the writing that determines the success of this. Give her a batch of strong scripts and I'd say all but the most fervent naysayers will come aboard.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              The real proof will be her interpretation, and the stories she is given. I liked Capaldi from the get-go, but he wasn't well-served by the writers a good chunk of the time.

Chris
              Yes. I don't have the investment that many Who here fans do, but I'm basically a traditionalist and I wonder, "What are they going for here?" I'm anxious to watch and see how my question is answered. There will always be another Doctor. Janeway, whatever one's opinion, didn't kill Star Trek.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 16, '17, 3:35 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I just hope the actress doesn't get death threats.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  I just hope the actress doesn't get death threats.
                  Well, she probably will but I bet all of the modern Doctors have? Not exactly a comfort I know...

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

^ Not her fault, blame the Big Bad Coyote

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      The obligatory bikini pic.
                      I can't believe I missed the ones of Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I've got the Capaldi one in my locker.....

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 12, 2004

Obligatory nude photos have also been posted. Well, that didn't take long.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                            Obligatory nude photos have also been posted. Well, that didn't take long.
                            I remember when that happened to Colin Baker.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Can't help you with Eccleston... but here's Tennant and Smith.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                                Hot Child in the City
                                • Jul 3, 2008

I'm actually very interested in seeing this happen. Not familar with the actress, but that's an advantage, no pre-conceptions. Been a Who fan since #4 ran on PBS, but I'm not against this in any way. I think it will all depend on how they handle the stories...will they give the new Doctor a handsome young male companion now? Will they make a big show of people not listening to the woman Doctor as opposed to when he was a man and just kind of took charge of things?
                                If they just proceed on, business as usual, with little fanfare given to the change of sex, it'll work. If it becomes a constant "battle of the sexes" story, I think it'll fall apart pretty quick and become boring.
                                Also a lot rides on how the new Doctor is portrayed. Personally, I'd prefer to see her as a more Peter Davison-ish style Doctor. God save them if she's "Mary Poppins".
                                Maybe the 1st Doctor appearing in the regeneration episode will give this "legitimacy" in the eyes of some fans who may be on the fence about this. Who knows, we might get Susan back as companion. I'd certainly love to see the new Doctor interact with an old companion or two, in particular Jaime, Rose, or Martha.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎