Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Oof, watching it live, it had an equal ratio of show to commercials, really not helping my experience. How do you Walking Dead people do it?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
      Oof, watching it live, it had an equal ratio of show to commercials, really not helping my experience. How do you Walking Dead people do it?
      Dvr everything and zoom thrpugh the commercials.If i really want to watch it right away I wait 20-30 minutes after it starts and go from there.
      The special had so much going on, yet there was so much in it that bothered me. I'll wait a bit to give others a spoiler free viewing.

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I normally do that but I caught it live and I was glued to the lounge.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Random thoughts (probably spoilers), I wish i had watched this sans commercials because it's hard to remove that frustration.

Overall, it was probably the best thing that has been done this season, for me anyway. Also, probably the most interesting take on a Dalek story in a while.

Still not without its problems, of course, stopping breakneck action with Ryan's dad slowed the whole thing down.

While we certainly didn't need to do anything to develop the Dalek's motivation, I would have spent more time with the captive. Also, it would have been interesting to have a Female Doctor encounter a Female Dalek, at least for one brief scene.

The humour all seemed to fall flat for me but it's been sorely missing so i was still happy to see the attempt.

I don't want to talk about UNIT, stupid.

The Doctor needs to get better at being the Doctor but maybe that's the point.

I think the show should lose Yaz, they've done very little with her and seem to be fixated on Ryan/Graham, so she's just a walking exposition/plot device.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

Ok, we won't talk about UNIT, as that whole thing was a ridiculous error in judgement. Unless it turns into a plotline next season.
            Tired of the whole "fam" bit. Overdone to death now. We get it you like each other. Go play board games on your own time.
            Ryan's dad and his convienient microwave oven were a totally unnecessary subplot. Can we please please stop with the family crap?
            There have been something like 578 Dalek Invasions of the UK since well, WW2. Why doesn't anyone know what they are?
            Why would the ancient warriors chop up a Dalek and guard the pieces for centuries? Why not just burn it and go on with your life?
            The Doctor's final plan was to let the Dalek get sucked into the sun. So after all the preaching about not killing, she decides to kill it.
            Sorry, I thought this special was weak. The best part was the victim girl who did a great job, until the Dalek left her and then they forgot she was there.
            Also getting tired of the Doctor's speeches about how great she is at being the Doctor. Not really convincing me. Deeds not words.

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

I've been a couple episodes behind, so I binged the last 2 to watch the New Years day episode.

It Takes You Away- easily my least favorite of the season. I get it but it just didn't work.

Battle of... Was good. Decent plot, good character moments.

Resolution- Again pretty good. The UNIT bit reminded me of when Matt Smith tried to call the Brig, so I generally didn't mind it.

All in all I'd rate the season a B. I wasn't as turned off as some and most of it generally worked for me. The tonal shifts have definitely left me missing things, but you could also say that about when Philip Hinchcliffe left in the 70s. Keep the humanity and bring more Who in and they'll have a cracking good show.
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

SPOILERS!!!!!!

So Chibnall read Heinlein's classic The Puppet Masters, and decided to throw in a Dalek.
                He even references the exact phrasing, "you are my puppet". We saw the same thing in classic Trek back in the 60s.

Then he re-invents the Dalek, with cool superpowers. Mind control, fully mobile without the casing, can be chopped up and re-assembles itself over thousands of miles in distance and over a thousand years in time. Can do A-Team style builds in an hour or so.
                Why haven't ALL Daleks been like this?
                Yeah, I know, it's a scout. It's so easy to pretend there are no "rules" to the Who universe.

The Doctor is basically cardboard, repeating the same lines and expressions over and over, waving her sonic about.
                Graham gets all the best lines (again). Good for him. I'd love a spin-off!

Everybody gets invited into the Tardis, and they all take it in stride. No big deal.

And all you need is a microwave oven to get rid of your Dalek problem.

Thank the Lords of Gallifrey that we're getting a break from all of this for a while….
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

Oh yes, thanks for bringing up the blacksmithing of a Dalek case in an hour, using castoff auto parts to create not only an exact eye stalk, but also anti gravity controls, deep space communication equipment, and a full array of scanners and sensors. All created by a 110 lb. girl with a hammer and a squid on her back.
                  Oh, also forgot to mention she is probably wanted for the murder of two policemen, at the very least grand theft auto for the cop car, and other assorted crimes. Of course, the Doctor destroyed the Dalek, there were no other living witnesses, and the whole of the UK has seemingly forgotten all about the endless alien attacks that have occurred over the past 55 years.
                  But hey, the two science kids were dropped off in the sewer ok, and the fam left, so good luck explaining things when they haul you downtown.

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

I keep trying. I want to like this. She is a fine doctor. any one of the companions could be good.

The show's sound track is constantly depressing. Most of the dialogue and situations are depressing.

It is SLOWWWWWwwww.

3 companions is 1 or 2 too many.

Avoiding classic bad guys and scenarios in the same season you get a new doctor vastly different than the previous (not only in gender) gives me no connection to the show.

I liked the Rosa episode. Other than that up through 12/2 I have struggled to watch. They are just bad.

In fairness though, it took me almost a decade to watch the 10th doctors first season - so maybe I'll come back to these.

But for now, I am no longer going to record them.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎