Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Not a terrible episode tonight. Interesting premise, but executed in such a way that it wasn't as compelling as it could have been.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I liked it.
      It started out as if they were at the Evil Dead cabin (would have loved that as well), and it had the right vibe, and a plot that kept me watching.
      Interesting concept (and a pretty fresh idea), and all characters worked well.
      I almost thought we were going to lose Graham in this one…

This is the first one in which I feel Whittaker is on a roll, which is good to see.

And we are finally back in some dodgy looking cave and corridors. Which is what classic Who is all about, right?
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, it was an interesting concept and I welcome that but it felt rushed, too much going on I think.

Has anyone else noticed that the music this season is decidedly low key and downbeat? I think that's hurting some of the action scenes.

The Doctor was more front and center in this one, taking a little shape which was a bonus.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Murray Gold left the series, so we have a new composer now.
          I thought Gold made absolutely beautiful scores (in all types of episodes), so I really miss him, and yes, I do feel the difference in a lot of the scenes.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            Murray Gold left the series, so we have a new composer now.
            I thought Gold made absolutely beautiful scores (in all types of episodes), so I really miss him, and yes, I do feel the difference in a lot of the scenes.
            Thanks I wondered about that, I really noticed it last week but thought they were going for a haunting tone. This week, the music didn't bring any tension to the action scenes, something Gold did VERY WELL.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I have all the Murray Gold scores for Who.
              What he did on a weekly basis is nothing less that phenomenal.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                I have all the Murray Gold scores for Who.
                What he did on a weekly basis is nothing less that phenomenal.
                I'm especially fond of his work on Matt Smith's first season, it's just wonderful.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

I, too, have all the Murray Gold soundtrack CDs and the depth and breadth of his work, having been on it since the 2005 relaunch, is nothing less than astounding, IMHO. I know there were people who grumbled a lot about his various takes on the main Doctor Who theme music, but I liked all of them. Plus his themes for each Doctor, and Companion really, were unique and much appreciated. He really hit his stride, I think, with the score for “The End of Time” (I defy anyone to listen to “Vale Decem” with a dry eye) and that momentum carried through to Series Five. His theme for Matt Smith’s Doctor was catchy and quirky and really captured Eleven’s personality, but his theme for Twelve “A Good Man?” is likely my favorite and will really get your blood moving.

On a side note, while I have enjoyed all of the MCU movies, their scores have all left me feeling a little flat. If they had worked with Murray Gold, I bet we would have gotten some serious, kick-*** theme music.
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

The aforementioned “Vale Decem”...
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• toothaction
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 15, 2017

Well, for the first time since the rebirth of Who I actually forgot that there was a new episode last weekend. I only remembered on Wednesday that I'd missed one and still haven't remedied the situation. Speaks volumes, I guess, about my enthusiasm for this latest run. Maybe tonight?
                      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I've faithfully powered through, it got hard around the middle though.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Some of the vocal tracks evoke so much emotion, I agree, it brings a tear to the eye.
                          To be honest, I feel this music stands up to any "classical music" piece, any opera.
                          Not bad for a little SciFi kids show, right?

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          I, too, have all the Murray Gold soundtrack CDs and the depth and breadth of his work, having been on it since the 2005 relaunch, is nothing less than astounding, IMHO. I know there were people who grumbled a lot about his various takes on the main Doctor Who theme music, but I liked all of them. Plus his themes for each Doctor, and Companion really, were unique and much appreciated. He really hit his stride, I think, with the score for “The End of Time” (I defy anyone to listen to “Vale Decem” with a dry eye) and that momentum carried through to Series Five. His theme for Matt Smith’s Doctor was catchy and quirky and really captured Eleven’s personality, but his theme for Twelve “A Good Man?” is likely my favorite and will really get your blood moving.

On a side note, while I have enjoyed all of the MCU movies, their scores have all left me feeling a little flat. If they had worked with Murray Gold, I bet we would have gotten some serious, kick-*** theme music.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Ok, seems like it's a bit more than rumors.
                            In an interview (Starburst magazine I believe), Whittaker was asked about her "leaving", and the answer was "speak to the BBC". Not exactly "No, I'm not leaving at all!"
                            The plot so far: Chibnall was asked to leave by the BBC. Whittaker is friends with him, and decides to stick by her friend.
                            She would leave at the end of next season, which will only be six episodes.
                            I can understand the friendship bond, but please, can we keep it professional and just do the job? First all the hype of the female Doctor, and now she leaves after a handful of episodes?

Let's hope it all blows over, because we would be left with very little Who in the near future, and what we have had so far recently, wasn't much to begin with.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Well, I don't blame her for wanting to leave, there really is a swath of entitled, toxic misogynist rhetoric out there and those folks are never going to warm to her. They're only watching it scanning for negatives to push their narrative.

However, I think she's been done a disservice by mediocre writing, middling music, and some draggy, slow-paced direction. That all falls on the producer, I would not be upset to lose Chibnall.

It would be a shame to abandon the concept without a really good turnaround. I didn't love Capaldi's first season either but he became one of my favorite Doctors.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                                Well, I don't blame her for wanting to leave, there really is a swath of entitled, toxic misogynist rhetoric out there and those folks are never going to warm to her. They're only watching it scanning for negatives to push their narrative.

However, I think she's been done a disservice by mediocre writing, middling music, and some draggy, slow-paced direction. That all falls on the producer, I would not be upset to lose Chibnall.

It would be a shame to abandon the concept without a really good turnaround. I didn't love Capaldi's first season either but he became one of my favorite Doctors.
                                Yes, to all of this.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎