X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toothaction
    Career Member
    • Jul 15, 2017

EDIT: Never mind, I missed my window.
    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

EDIT II: Dang, double posted, too.

Off to hunt for a Dunce cap.
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

hey Lonnie, can i ask your what you believe the "PC Agenda" the show has and why it bugs you so much? I'm interested in knowing why this upsets you in your own words, not a youtube video.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

This one was better, more mature and balanced.
          It had a different writer, and it showed.
          I still feel it could have had more punch. I had a flashback to Rosa Parks, also an episode where nothing was changed to the timeline. This isn't a bad thing, but it leaves you with a feeling of "The Tardis crew did nothing". A "non-adventure".
          It would have packed a bigger punch if Jaz, to save others, changed the timeline and erased herself from history.
          And why did her grandmother not remember such an odd-looking group?

My favorite character is Graham. Cool and calm, the voice of reason. Let's keep this one, please?

But all and all, I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. Which is an improvement.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Oh, and at one moment "City on the edge of forever" came to mind....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't notice it had a different writer but that makes sense now.

Not sure I totally agree that nothing happened, unlike "Rosa", we didn't know the story behind the watch or what was going to unfurl. So it did have some stakes but yeah, the Tardis crew mostly just witness an event.

Also, who is to say Grandma doesn't remember them, Yaz is her favourite grandchild and she gave her the watch after all.

Agreed on Graham.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Not much to say about tonight's episode. Not very compelling at all.

(Although the fez delivery was a neat reference to Matt Smith's Doctor.)

But at least next week's episode looks promising!
                Last edited by Bruce Banner; Nov 18, '18, 3:40 PM.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

I'm wondering if I'd feel differently about this latest series as a whole if I was watching it with my imaginary family of wife and two kids. Perhaps what it feels to be lacking for me as a single, middle-aged man is being delivered in spades to the 7-14-year-old set.

After the initial excitement of seeing an author other than the showrunner in the credits, I struggled to care for the rest of the runtime. Bummed.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

The episodes get worse every week...

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by toothaction
                      I'm wondering if I'd feel differently about this latest series as a whole if I was watching it with my imaginary family of wife and two kids.
                      Well, I am watching it with a wife and two kids and while mileage varies, I think every single one of us wishes for improvements in the stories themselves. I haven't seen this week's episode yet but wow, you folks are selling it

Comment

• toothaction
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Well, I am watching it with a wife and two kids and while mileage varies, I think every single one of us wishes for improvements in the stories themselves.
                        Yeah, that's in line with what I was thinking was probably the case. What was that tag line for Time Bandits? Something like, "Intelligent enough for children and exciting enough for adults." Not quite hitting those marks this year, huh?

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by toothaction
                          Yeah, that's in line with what I was thinking was probably the case. What was that tag line for Time Bandits? Something like, "Intelligent enough for children and exciting enough for adults." Not quite hitting those marks this year, huh?
                          The new series has always focused heavily on the companions and Chibnall's strengths is in crafting characters, that's what makes Broadchurch work so well.

When you had one companion, you would get to know them and the Doctor but with a team, it's a juggling act.

All this character development has come at the cost of middling adventures and a slightly undercooked Doctor.

Whittaker's Doctor seems fun and I like her empathy but she needs to have the spotlight more. It's her show now!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                            Hot Child in the City
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Agreed...the Doctor is getting shorted screen time in favor of the rest of the gang. Ryan should go, he's the least interesting of the new companions.
                            I'm not sure where they need to go with this version of the Doctor. It's a fine line now between cranky and shrill, if they head toward the First Doctor. If they go lighter they risk her not being taken seriously enough. She can't be too maternal as the male doctors were never fatherly figures to the companions (except for #1).
                            I think best bet is:
                            1). They have her face a threat that only the Doctor can defeat. Daleks, Cybermen, Original Master, some other villain from the deep past. A run-in with UNIT.
                            2). She needs a better costume. Something elegant and respectable. Maybe something Pertwee-esque. That current outfit makes her look like she's off to the playground to ride the see-saw.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

I do agree that we're suffering from the "too many companions" syndrome with this season.

(Sure, the Doctor has had three companions before, but back then each story was an episodic multi-parter which allowed time and room for each of their characters to breathe and play a relevant role in the story as required... for the most part.)
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Just watched Kerblam! it had the feel of an early RTD episode complete with "easy button" fix.

At least the Doctor was given more to do but the show seems determined to make her somewhat bad in a crisis.

Usually, i can't wait to rewatch a season around Christmas time, I think this year I may watch 1 or 2 and go do something else.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎