Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why wasn't the Enterprise Bridge more show accurate?

Why wasn't the Enterprise Bridge more show accurate?

Because it was a toy, not a screen-accurate replica.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwyblejr View Post
    ^Almost sounds like the prototype second version that was posted on here awhile back.
    Ah, you mean this one:

Star Trek Enterprise Bridge 2 prototype (1977).jpg

Yes, that would have been truly amazing. I can't see the design being practical enough to become a final toy, though. But I'd have loved it.

It's my understanding that in addition to the influence of the cartoon, Mego went with the odd colors (regardless of their inaccuracy) to make the toy more bright and appealing to children. Probably the same logic that applied to the blue and red phasers: blue is good guys, red is bad guys. Inaccurate, but simple and to the point. I think this choice even went so far as to influence Azrak-Hamway to produce some of their normally black Phaser Water Guns in the same blue that Mego did, as seen here:

Star Trek phaser water gun (blue) mib 2.jpg

Of course, then you have children like me who despised this inaccuracy and thought of it as a cop-out (I made sure to get the black Phaser Water Pistol). But I suppose we were the exception. And it didn't stop me from seeing Mego commercials on TV and wanting that bridge playset more than anything else in the world at the time!

--SKot
    Last edited by SKotK; Jul 17, '17 at 12:21 PM.
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Images
    The layout is pretty good, the blue is a good choice to add some color as opposed to grey. I think that replacing the bright orange and pink stripes with black would have made it look pretty close for a toy from that era. Would have been great if there was another set with engineering and sick bay, made in the same shape to add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock664 View Post

Exactly. Fretting about things like "screen accuracy" or "comic book accuracy" with vintage toys sorta misses the whole point. I'll never understand folks who see things like these as faults. It's often because of these inaccuracies that makes vintage toy collecting so appealing in the first place. I'd leave things like "accuracy" up to modern toys-made-as-collectibles companies like Sideshow or Hot Toys or whatever....

Images
    the design never bothered me as a kid and certainly does not bother me now. I love it and have always loved this play set. it is a lot of fun and that is all that really matters

Quote Originally Posted by warlock664 View Post

Ha. Same reason why a mischievous Imp can stare down an Incredible Hulk.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megoat View Post
    Exactly. Fretting about things like "screen accuracy" or "comic book accuracy" with vintage toys sorta misses the whole point. I'll never understand folks who see things like these as faults. It's often because of these inaccuracies that makes vintage toy collecting so appealing in the first place. I'd leave things like "accuracy" up to modern toys-made-as-collectibles companies like Sideshow or Hot Toys or whatever....
    Bravo! I couldn't have said it better.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by megoat View Post
    Yeah, to each their own but I prefer some vintage clunk.

Images
    How does it compare to the animated series bridge?
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Images
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, can someone do repro prototype?
    Last edited by Mr Mego; Aug 11, '17 at 8:46 PM.
    WANTED TO BUY:
    Boxed Spider-Car instruction sheet, CIPSA POTA: Ape body, Urko tunic, rifles, Bill vest & pants, Mego: Urko bandoiler & short sword, 3-Toe boots & rifles, Batman gloves, skinny boots, Robin gloves & shoes and two Fist Fighting bodies with very good working action. FTC: Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson and Peter Parker.
    My Wanted List: Mego and Parts
    My Good Traders List: Buy/Sell/Trade
    Website - TheMegoMania.com