X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Spider-Man 67 animated series

Our own Brian Heiler joins Rob Kelly and I to discuss the original Spidey cartoon on the latest episode of Saturday Morning Fever! Lots of fun discussion about the show capturing the Lee/Ditko/Romita feel, endless swinging sequences, recycling from other shows, and psychedelic painted skies! Giver 'er a listen!

Celebrating the classic Saturday Morning cartoons, hosted by members of the Fire and Water Podcast Network and featuring special guests!

Chris
    sigpic
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Looking forward to listening to this one! Love, love, love '67 Spidey!!
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Not too keen on the latter-seasons recycling, but I like the show and am enjoying the podcast.

I laughed out loud (and winced, too) at the comments about the dvd releases of this and Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. I bought both on the secondary market, ouch.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 8, '17, 1:25 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, the Bakshi years are cool for their...out-there-ness, but it's hard to sit through some of the same footage over and over and over.

I'm cheap, so I've never caved on the Scarecrow set on the aftermarket. As soon as I do, Disney will release it again from "The Vault".

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

As much as Spidey's eyes (lenses?) moved in the comic (and moreso with Ditko than Romita, although Romita established the classic eye shape), I still think the movement of his eyes in his current big screen incarnation is more directly inspired by '67 Spidey than anything else. I mean, when you saw him pop up on the CIVIL WAR trailer with those squinting Romita eyes, tell me the first you DIDN'T think of was Spidey '67.
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^ I love that effect, it gives his face some much-needed mobility to complement the vocal wise-cracking.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 9, '17, 9:21 AM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

I never caught any episodes on TV, my exposure was all the 1985 vhs releases and rentals.

I bought it for around $50 at Best buy in 2005. I was disappointed in the second and third seasons. I sold the set a few years later and got $30-35 for it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Not sure what it really goes for but Amazon has an insane price on it now.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^Not sure what it really goes for but Amazon has an insane price on it now.

Chris
                  I think I sold in 2010 and that's what the ending bid was. Selling it cheap was still less painful than watching seasons 2&3 .

Comment

• bleit1701
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 1, 2009

It's sold from $30 to $80 recently on Ebay
                    Better late than never.....

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

I wish Disney/MARVEL would spend a little more $$$$ and give us a nicely restored (and well-packaged) Bluray release of the '67 series. I've got the set, but man, they did not spend any time, money or effort on designing either the packaging or the disc artwork...

Comment

• VintageMike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2004

I picked up when it first came out at a Saturday Night Matinee at the mall. I still don't think I've watched the whole thing!

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          I wish Disney/MARVEL would spend a little more $$$$ and give us a nicely restored (and well-packaged) Bluray release of the '67 series. I've got the set, but man, they did not spend any time, money or effort on designing either the packaging or the disc artwork...
                          Odds of this happening: slim to none.

Disney...or Marvel, actually...really hates their early animation. They refuse a MSH '66 or FF '78 stateside release, even though Disney has had the rights since before they bought MRVL. And they refuse to work out a distribution deal for HB FF '67...even after Warner Video reached out to do this during the two FF movies.

I used to think it was Disney, but they released the Spidey set and had granted rights for MSH and FF '78 for R2 release. Once they bought MRVL, we got Marvel Mash-Up, which was an idea from the Marvel side, not Disney.

But we'll probably see a streaming offer. Much like WB is going to do with the upcoming DC app where it's a clearinghouse for all their animation and re-runs, baited with a new show.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                            Odds of this happening: slim to none.

Disney...or Marvel, actually...really hates their early animation. They refuse a MSH '66 or FF '78 stateside release, even though Disney has had the rights since before they bought MRVL. And they refuse to work out a distribution deal for HB FF '67...even after Warner Video reached out to do this during the two FF movies.

I used to think it was Disney, but they released the Spidey set and had granted rights for MSH and FF '78 for R2 release. Once they bought MRVL, we got Marvel Mash-Up, which was an idea from the Marvel side, not Disney.

But we'll probably see a streaming offer. Much like WB is going to do with the upcoming DC app where it's a clearinghouse for all their animation and re-runs, baited with a new show.
                            Yeah, just wishful thinking on the part of the 8 year-old living inside me, but it would be super nice to see! I'm not sure exactly WHY Marvel is so eager to shun their early animation, especially '67 Spidey which had such an obvious influence on this, new Spider-Man undertaking....

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎