X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

What the heck is "Mego Melt?"

I saw this on the Wikipedia page for Mego Corporation. I've never heard of this problem elsewhere, so does anyone know where this comes from?
    "Mego Melt"
    Virtually every plastic action figure and doll made by Mego has suffered from "Mego Melt" (also known as "Mego Molt"), a term coined by toy collectors to describe the material deteriorating over time. The plastic used for the doll's torso reacts with the rubberized plastic used for the arms and legs. The result is a melting of the torso at those joining points: shoulder, underarm, hips, and buttocks. Even when stored carefully, this melting often results in the costumes becoming stuck to the dolls. Excessive heat from storage in hot attics or garages exacerbates this problem. The dolls' hair and eyelashes are prone to similar deterioration when exposed to high temperatures.
    The hands that grip.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I don't know about on Mego's but this is common with the toys made of the harder plastic, such as the GI Joe MB, the shark from Aquaman, Super Joe, Big Jim etc. I have seen it on some of the 12" Mego dolls and also on Cpt Action fro the 60's where the rubber and plastic cause a chemical reaction that causes melting

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It refers primarily to Mego's fashion and other female dolls, but also occurs at times to Mad Monster eyes.

IMO the Wiki entry is anecdotal and exaggerated.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

Or Lone Ranger Guns sitting in gun belt for 40 years, or horse from bridle, saddle, straps. Certainly not limited exclusely to Mego and does not affect the waxy plastic used on type 1 or 2 bodies but the brittle hard plastic like the female figures, knight armor or of course monster eyes.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 13, 2016

All my 12 inch Mego gals have Mego Melt on their shoulder joints. Unless its a minty one in the box, you can see it on just about any 12 inch Mego female on Ebay. It sucks because I don't think their is anyway to fix it.

-Diana

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Virtually every…? That's unbridled nonsense.

In Ape City, only Zira is inflicted with a periodic condition and it's usually the neck plug that's the offending component.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by Confessional
              Virtually every…? That's unbridled nonsense.
              Yeah, I thought so. Seemed like an outrageous claim, considering I've never seen any mego figures afflicted with this supposedly common condition.
              The hands that grip.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 13, 2016

It's only common if you are a die hard Cher fan, and maybe this guy is.

-Diana

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

The only melting issue that I was aware of was on the Mego Star Trek phaser weapons both the blue and red plastic, there are some, but very few to my knowledge, I guess it had something to do with the Klingon's leather front vest if the phaser was touching it in the sealed clamshell and some humidity factor. I only vaguely remember reading this somewhere.
                  Last edited by TrekStar; Jun 30, '17, 7:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎