Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever purged all their modern toys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

Has anyone ever purged all their modern toys?

The older I get the less I enjoy stuff purchased from the 90's on up, and the more I enjoy my toys from the 70's and 80's.

I am starting to think I may want to get rid of my modern toys and only keep and continue to collect vintage. Has anyone done this? Was it a good experience? Or, did you end up regretting it?
    Happy Days-Mego Style
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

yes - i bought tons in the 90's. i "sold" them 2000-2010 for pennies on the dollar. some never sold. i am glad i did. they were fun to collect and display -they never had real cash value, so if others wanted them, i was happy to see them go.

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Brue
      yes - i bought tons in the 90's. i "sold" them 2000-2010 for pennies on the dollar. some never sold. i am glad i did. they were fun to collect and display -they never had real cash value, so if others wanted them, i was happy to see them go.
      Yeah...I did the same thing when I got back I into collecting, about the same time as you. I wish I had just concentrated on Mego's at that time.
      sigpic

Comment

• Mawni
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 11, 2007

I bought a bunch of ST:TNG. What a waste of money. They are ugly and near worthless. I should have bought Mego ST but this was in the mid 90s.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

I did this around the same time as Brue. All MOC TAS and Toy Biz runs. Like usual, the fun was in the hunt. When they sit in a giant box for years, it became hard for me to justify why I kept them.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

Trying to do it now.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Oh yeah, i kicked all the POTF, Playmates Trek and toybiz to the curb in 1998.

I really like JLU but so did my son, so he got all of those. Playmates Simpsons went to the daughter.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I still have 90's lines I love: commemorative MOTU, BatmanTAS, modern Joes and Action man.

But I could easily give up the Batman movie junk I so assiduously bought.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

Playmates made so much product in the 90's-Trek, Simpsons, Turtles, and none of if it worth anything now. I have boxes of Playmates Trek I haven't looked at in years, but I never seem to get around to getting rid of it. And while I was restrained with the Simpsons stuff, I know there's more of that someplace than I care to admit.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

While I did get rid of Playmates and other newer brands...I'm really into Sideshow, Hot Toys, and Neca right now.

Many here know I sold my entire completed lose Mego collection, but retained anything Superman. And still have lots of older collectibles as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

• boss
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 18, 2003

My mom purged my "modern" toys back in 1980. I've spent the last 20 years re-acquiring them. ;-)
                      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 12, 2016

I did the same thing....Im a big vintage GI Joe collector....But then I got into collecting hot toys figures...I have since sold off most all of the Hot toys stuff, except for a choice 4 or 5....The newer stuff is cool and all, but it just doesnt have the "nostalgia" factor for me...Which is part of the reason I started collecting the vintage Joe stuff to begin with...It reminds me of a different, and sometimes better, time in life...Back when things were alot simpler...
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I got rid of most of the 90's Star Wars stuff. most went to my son when he 2-3. I sold a bunch on ebay for pennies on the dollar. still have some of the stuff, I kept mostly for sentimental reasons. It was just so cool to have SW toys on the shelf again in 95-96 that I had to keep some of it, even if it is mostly worthless

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I honestly don't care what anything's worth. I either like it/feel attached, or don't.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I honestly don't care what anything's worth. I either like it/feel attached, or don't.
                              Yes, the same with me, if I don't feel attached to it, I try to sell cheap on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎