Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

A friend of mine thinks it's because of The Big Bang Theory as a reason of "nerd" being accepted today.
    For me growing up I was looked at like I was from another planet for liking comics sometimes with violent reactions from fellow folks my age.
    But the only downside I see that with the acceptance of this culture in the mainstream is that it's driven up vintage toys and some comics in price...

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

Here we get

C2E2 in March/April

Chicago Toyshow # 1 in April

Indy Comic con in May

G-Fest in July (Godzilla/Kaiju)

Flashback weekend in August

Wizard in August

(and not sure if they still have) PULP & Noir Convention in September (anymore)

Chicago Toyshow # 2 in October

quite a bit and of course Mego meet was in June here for the last three years.

There was one small comic show (not a con) that was held twice a year at one of the airport hotels and that one to me was always fun and a good buy.

Been to Wondercon in SF in 2005, Motor city con in 2002 & 2005 and SD from 99-2005, 2009, 2010 and last year 2016. SD is now an Abomination from what it used to be.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Spawn67
        A friend of mine thinks it's because of The Big Bang Theory as a reason of "nerd" being accepted today....
        Your friend is right in the way that it helped... but that's like attributing the rebirth of 50's or 70's nostalgia culture to Happy Days or That 70's Show... these are just the right TV shows in the right place at the right time.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I wouldn't attribute it to Big Bang Theory at all, i'm sure it helped in some regards but I went to SDCC 12 years ago and there was already big studio money everywhere and not just for genre stuff. Not to mention it was packed.

Being a "Cool Nerd" goes back further than BBT, which to be frank, is also resented by many. I would conjecture the rise of Youtube vlogging has more to do with it than anything. As the owner of two young people, i can testify that's how they get all of their information.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

Originally posted by rykerw1701
            There's on just outside of Philadelphia called Zolocon that's a bit of a throwback. It has no celebrities or corporate sponsorship. It's just a large dealer room, really. But the crowds are very good, the dealers happy and prices affordable. Nice to take my 9 year old son to it without feeling ripped off.
            Great show. Lots of good dealers and aside from Mego Meet I've picked more vintage pieces at this show than any other. Also a good chance of seeing a few fellow Mego buds there which is always a bonus.

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
              Here too and it's welcome, the only negative emotion i feel is "where were you in the 80s?". I think I knew one teenage female comic collector growing up.

Sadly the answer is "Not born yet." Or worse, "I think my father went to some of those shows when he was a little kid."

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 18, 2007

I just attended the Denver Comic Con. It was my first convention ever, at 48 years old. I had a freaking blast. I met Neal Adams and got an ustograph print, and my picture taken with him. Sooooo many artists and their amazing art to oggle. purchgased a lot of signed prints, commisioned a couple of peices, and met some Authors I didnt think I would ever meet. What a great opportunity. This Denver Comic Con has grown with leaps and bounds and is now like the third largest in the nation (thats what I was told by a vender). Cosplay everywhere, 4 to 1 girl to guy ratio in costumes. Large number of wonder women in attendance, (I wonder why) and only a couple of Batman. three day event, and I will attend all three days next year, I only attended on Sunday this time. I even met Nathan Fillian. I'd go twice a year if there was another.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                  Made in the USA
                  • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I would conjecture the rise of Youtube vlogging has more to do with it than anything. As the owner of two young people, i can testify that's how they get all of their information.
                  OMG Yes...and it drives me NUTZ especially if I contradict what these so-called Video Jockey Experts spew as fact
                  Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                    OMG Yes...and it drives me NUTZ especially if I contradict what these so-called Video Jockey Experts spew as fact
                    Yeah, I can't click on any "History of Mego" youtube videos, so many "experts" reading verbatim from here or wikipedia and getting it wrong.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎