X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Cons and fests...

Geesh it seems there are so many comic cons and toy conventions nowdays. Where I live there are several a year and when I go visit Florida there's so many going throughout the year.
    Not saying it's a bad thing but I think we're all old enough to remember when there was one regional a year and they were barely attended.
    What's your take on the popularity of cons?
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

A number of factors. The success of the Marvel movies and all the various TV shows have brought these character into the mainstream. Then the stuff many complain about. The celebrities at these things are a draw. I've seen the long lines. The cosplay aspect aloows people to have fin in a whole other way and at times (another common complaint) be part of the show themselves. Finally when an event is successful and makes money , more like it will spring up to try and cash in.

Comment

• Spawn67
      Career Member
      • Aug 14, 2009

Yea I was recently at a megacon and it was fun and all but all I kept thinking about is how different it is nowdays now that "geek" culture is somewhat accepted.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I don't go to conventions...I go to food and beer festivals...

sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

It's funny, the more prominent these things became, the less I am inclined to go to them.

Back in the day, the big con (usually star trek or comics) was a huge deal that I wouldn't miss but now they've become super markets full of funko pops. Some things are slicker and better run, no doubt but there is a certain....intimacy that's been lost.

About 3 or 4 years ago, the local Doctor Who fan club held an old school con for the fiftieth. It wasn't super great (and was sparsely attended) but it totally took me back to the days of Fan run conventions. I left before Peter Davison took the stage.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

None in my area. Count your blessings.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Geek culture more accepted = Cons less authentic (and that includes intimacy)

Always a price to pay

It was bound to happen.

Not going to start a political discussion here... but, let's just say that one of the best things about America/the West is the focus on play time for kids and leisure time for working adults. And that factor continues to grow... and, my personal take is, if this trend ever stalls or regresses, it may be a sign that something's wrong.

Culturally "nerds" used to be known as the outcasts (socially awkward & liking nerdy things like superheroes and dragons) that were really smart.... now they are more known as outcasts (not necessarily computer geniuses)... but, is one an "outcast" when the MCU is a billion dollar industry, Game Of Thrones is top-rated TV, Etc, and there's gazillions coming out to cons/fests, both male & female?

Times change. Hopefully for the better.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by ScottA
                None in my area. Count your blessings.
                None at my end of the state either. You either got to go over to Atlanta or head up to Nashville or Knoxville if you want to hit anything.

Comment

• LordMudd
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 22, 2011

Last big con here was first weekend in December, 1991. They brought in dealers from New York and California charging New York and California prices, which people here will not pay, and right before Christmas too. Dealers refused to drop prices and not 1 of them even made table that weekend. Never tried it again.

CCC.

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    None at my end of the state either. You either got to go over to Atlanta or head up to Nashville or Knoxville if you want to hit anything.
                    At least your closer to Nashville and Knoxville than I am. I've been to the Knoxville show and I'd love to go again.

I did go to Joelanta last March.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

I haven't been to a con since 2009, mainly b/c of my back and my knees. But I really want to go to Salt Lake City in September for the screening of Star Trek Continues Ep. 10 and meet Vic Mignogna. I'm going to get back and knee braces at Walgreen's and see if that helps. My niece (who has cerebral palsy) had an excellent suggestion. She says I should call guest services at that con to see if I can get a special handicap pass, so I don't have to stand in lines too long. I wonder if that will work out.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

There's on just outside of Philadelphia called Zolocon that's a bit of a throwback. It has no celebrities or corporate sponsorship. It's just a large dealer room, really. But the crowds are very good, the dealers happy and prices affordable. Nice to take my 9 year old son to it without feeling ripped off.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                          There's on just outside of Philadelphia called Zolocon that's a bit of a throwback. It has no celebrities or corporate sponsorship. It's just a large dealer room, really. But the crowds are very good, the dealers happy and prices affordable. Nice to take my 9 year old son to it without feeling ripped off.
                          Yeah, he's a good system and a great reputation for shows. We have stuff like that here, where it's just a toy show in a ballroom but it's funny how handmade jewellry and cos-play are now a part of it.

Comment

• Spawn67
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 14, 2009

I also see quite a number of females at these events. I was speaking with a very attractive 20 something female who was purchasing some comics at a friend of mines booth recently which was something you would have never ever seen when I started going to shows . I know a lot go for cosplay. Not a bad thing just something I've noticed in recent times..

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Spawn67
                              I also see quite a number of females at these events. I was speaking with a very attractive 20 something female who was purchasing some comics at a friend of mines booth recently which was something you would have never ever seen when I started going to shows . I know a lot go for cosplay. Not a bad thing just something I've noticed in recent times..
                              Here too and it's welcome, the only negative emotion i feel is "where were you in the 80s?". I think I knew one teenage female comic collector growing up.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎