X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supes
    For the love of Mego's!
    • Jan 19, 2004

Ron Howard directing Han Solo

So they just announced Ron Howard is directing the Han Solo stand alone movie. What you guys think? I like him and think he's done some great work, so I'm pretty excited

For the love of Mego's
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Wonder about original directors and what was the "artistic differences" that sent them packing.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Howard directed one of my all time favorite movies...Apollo 13...so yeah, I'm stoked...
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

He's part of the Lucasfilm family tree for sure. Starred in American Graffiti with Harrison Ford, and of course directed Willow.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I heard that as a rumor a few days ago. Didn't they only have about 3 weeks of filming left? Must have been a pretty big series of creative differences for them to cut those guys loose with so much in the can.

But I have absolutely no fear with Ron Howard on board. Definitely one of the best directors in Hollywood. He can probably straighten this all out.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Yes, Ron Howard is good.

He did do a very good job with Willow, and had to work with the groundbreaking morphing technology of the time.

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              Wonder about original directors and what was the "artistic differences" that sent them packing.
              From what I've read, the directors were making it too much of a comedy. Kathleen Kennedy said something to the effect that they were hired to add a comedic touch, not to make a Han Solo comedy, which is what they were seeing in the footage. Also that the directors were encouraging the actors to do a lot of improv, and that those choices were taking it too far from the original script. Apparently the directors were asked repeatedly to get back on course but were determined to see their own vision through. True creative differences.

That said, Star Wars has an established tone that has stood the test of time. I'd be hesitant to let a director get too far away from the formula too.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                That said, Star Wars has an established tone that has stood the test of time. I'd be hesitant to let a director get too far away from the formula too.
                Exactly! There are other properties where I have enjoyed a shift in style or tone, but I guess that's been TV or Comics more than movies. My buddies and I have imagined endlessly about "What if Tarantino (or many other directors that have an easily identifiable style) had directed (insert movie name here)?" while sitting on the patio. You can do the departures for "Star Wars" stories and characters in Comics and TV, but not a big budget movie. "Reservoir Droids" is funny patio talk, but no one wants to see it on the big screen.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

makes me worry switching directors this far along, but I love Ron Howard. he is tremendously talented and I have great faith he will get the movie back on track. I also had heard the original directors were making it a comedy, which would be an insult to the character and the franchise. I believe in Lucasfilm and that they have a view of the bigger picture and will make sure things stay true to the characters and spirit of Star Wars

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I still boycotting the movie because they passed on Anthony Ingruber ....he was the PERFECT choice for Han Solo. He even played the young Harrison Ford in "Age of Adeline." The guy was a fan favorite....had about a million and a half fans on YouTube. Total BUMMER.

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Just because he can regurgitate scenes and smirk doesn't mean he can act. He's the Rich Little of Harrison Ford impersonators.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        ^^^ Just because he can regurgitate scenes and smirk doesn't mean he can act. He's the Rich Little of Harrison Ford impersonators.
                        He can act...I've seen "Age of Adeline."
                        sigpic

Comment

• Steeler80
                          Mayor of Strunk
                          • Jun 29, 2001

Ron Howard is one of the top directors in Hollywood and he rarely missteps so I'm excited to see what he does with this one.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Steeler80
                            Ron Howard is one of the top directors in Hollywood and he rarely missteps so I'm excited to see what he does with this one.
                            Definitely agree Ron Howard is a GREAT Director, so that would get me excited normally...but they blew the casting of Han Solo.
                            sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

I'd rather see Ron take the reigns on a Obi Wan trilogy staring Ewan McGregor.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎